CoinPeople.com

Cleaning a Morgan

Dads Stuff

Junk... please send them to me at...

I kid...

Cleaning coins is a touchy subject. Im sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but if it is THick gunk maybe try some off making sure not to scrape the coin... if that made any sense... Maybe give them a soke in .... oh here I go... Asitone? I think thats what the masses use to clean their coins on those rare times when they do.

second thought... someone else take this one, im not to much help, sorry :ninja:

-Bobby

I cannot help at all so I will suggest this.

Take them to a dealer and see what they say. You can also show us pics of the coins so we can get a better idea about the black poop

Or minerail spirits will clean them up, dont scrub!!let them soak, I use Rubbing alcohol on some of my coins, no problems.. :ninja:

Acetone would be the better way to go. Other solvents may leave residue, remove some of the outer layer of a coin, or cause unwanted reactions.

Yep, if the gunk is petroleum based, mineral spirits would be a good soak, but no rubbing. Patience is the key. It could take days to dissolve the stuff or it could dissolve in minutes. Isopropyl alcohol may darken silver if the soak takes several days, but the darkening looks like natural toning usually.

Ammonia, turpentine, vinegar and several other cleaning solutions will remove toning or otherwise react badly to the coin surface, but acetone and mineral spirits will not cause any reaction on a 90% silver US coin, in my own experience.

Archived