CoinPeople.com

Fishing coins, not wishes from our parks fountains

Tiffibunny

Interesting

I have Never Done the Penny Tossed Into the water To make My Wish Come true idea

Man Can You gather what Kinds of Coins people Toss into the water A Day?

Wouldn't Mind Sorting though all Those Coins :ninja:

Who knows You Might Find many old Coins Within the Pile of Coins

Kind of related. At the zoo this weekend I saw two pennies that were taken from the gut of a penguin and a duck. You could barely make out the outline of Lincoln. Kind of interesting to see what an animal's body does to coins.

A friend of mine who does some metal detecting and treasure hunting was telling me that one of the places that are overlooked are in creeks and streams near bridges. Apparently before the days of electronics, when people actually went out of their houses, many areas near bridges were popular as places to swim, picnic, and fish...and maybe for folks to toss a coin and make a wish. A few years ago on the river where Gooseberry falls is located (in northern Minnesota again), we stopped to look at the river and sure enough, you could see a few coins in the water far below the bridge.

^^^ Very common practice in my hometown. Not sure if they are making a wish or not but the creek bed normally has $1 or so coins on it. I'll go down and check them, take the good stuff, and leave what is left for the little kids to grab. Another popular place is the bridge over the railroad tracks. People are always throwing coins at the trains. I have found a few silver quarters and dimes around there.

Archived