CoinPeople.com

Morgan Silver Dollars

2coins

It is my thinking that the Morgan silver dollar hype collecting is just that...Hype!,if you read about the history of these and mintage reports you will find that yes so few are concidered "Rare", only by mintage in respect. the others there are still many, many more in Fort Knox!so lets say you buy a rarer CC morgan for big bucks and in the future uncle sam lets loose of these from there holding on the market like they did some years ago, then what? Your expensive coin is now worth a quarter of the value if that!There are way to many around for me to invest in.But Iam going to build a TYPE set and need just one,hmmmm wounder what it would be????? :ninja:

I find the design of the Morgan to be decent. What appeals to me most about the coin is its size, weight, and thickness. I feel like I am holding real money when I hold one of those. I would not pay mucho bucks for the hype however. I can get a similar sized foreign silver coin with an equal if not better design for a helluva lot less.

Yes Morgan dollars are a bit "pricey". Collecting them is something that takes (unless you are rich) decades instead of years to complete. I'm sure it could be done quicker but you would need to really focus on Morgans and Morgans only.

I like to buy one or two nice ones per month. By nice I mean XF or better. I have yet to purchase a Carson City Morgan but may in the future months.

2coins, I believe you are wrong about the government sitting on Morgan dollars at this time. Would like to see your information concerning these "held" coins and who published it? Been a collector for 30 years and the Morgans were cleaned out years ago. Fort Knox is basically a gold depository and seeing how only one in a million of a chosen few can ever set foot in Fort Knox or the vault at West Point I would have to question any article concerning what is stored inside. In the 30 years I have collected nothing has been more stable than the Morgan dollar. I collect just about everything and now have expanded into the silver Euro commemoratives and world coins (preferably old or very low mintage) and STILL buy the unc. Morgans every chance I get. I, like so many of the others here, admire the design, love that period of U.S. history and like the feel of a real coin in my hands and, thru the years, it has been a very profitable coin to have around. No complaints in this household!

I hear they are holding millions of Morgans at Area 51. :ninja:

But seriously, the 85-CC would be my pick as well. In fact, its the only Morgan I own at this time. And yes, its the one in my avatar.

I find the design of the Morgan to be decent. What appeals to me most about the coin is its size, weight, and thickness. I feel like I am holding real money when I hold one of those. I would not pay mucho bucks for the hype however. I can get a similar sized foreign silver coin with an equal if not better design for a helluva lot less.

I am the same way, I have been buying culls by the $1000's just for that reason "the feel"

Me and my buddys play Poker with them every week now. Its much better than using clay chips, they feel better, look better, and sound better.... and plus they are worth silver melt.

I am the same way, I have been buying culls by the $1000's just for that reason "the feel"

Me and my buddys play Poker with them every week now.  Its much better than using clay chips, they feel better, look better, and sound better.... and plus they are worth silver melt.

Man that is a great idea jm

I think I'll try that one too. :ninja:

Alright! Card party at Knowtracks!!! Will this be a bring your own? (B.Y.O.M.) or can we just cash in when we get there? That will be dollar for dollar exchange won't it? Sounds like a great idea to me!

Man, I never even give AREA 51 a thought! No wonder they are guarding it so close!

There were a lot of bags of dollars purchased in the mid 60s. Many of them were mixed dates/mintages. While most were sold to dealers either directly or during the silver rush days of the early 80s, there are still a bunch around that have never been opened -- or so I'm told.

I know at least three people who claim to have multiple bags that were purchased directly from the Treasury for silver certificates and have never been opened. Don't know how true some of this is. I've personally seen two treasury sealed bags that one friend has.

Alright! Card party at Knowtracks!!! Will this be a bring your own? (B.Y.O.M.) or can we just cash in when we get there? That will be dollar for dollar exchange won't it? Sounds like a great idea to me!

Man, I never even give AREA 51 a thought! No wonder they are guarding it so close!

I've got the elk steaks the rest we can get no problem, just give me a couple months to get the "chips" together :ninja:

Archived