CoinPeople.com

Do you know?

Unknown

Thanks a million Stujoe!

So it is correct when it is 180 degrees. Yes the UK is opposite.

Yep, I just grapped one of my six pences and it is oriented the opposite way to US coins. As far as I know, US coins have always been oriented the same way. Except, of course, for those that have rotated reverse errors. :ninja:

Thanks a million Stujoe!

So it is correct when it is 180 degrees. Yes the UK is opposite.

Depends

The general rule is that coins from 1663-1887 are minted in coin alignment, and coins from 1887 to present are minted in medal alignment, except in the following instances;

1787, 1798, 1816-20 shillings are all in medal alignment

1787, 1816-20 sixpences are all in medal alignment

1825 onwards pennies and half pennies switch to medal alignment, farthings change in 1826.

There are a few other isolated issues here and there of coins being the opposite way around to what you'd expect. First year Victoria halfcrowns are in medal alignment, the rest afterwards upto 1887 are in medal alignment.

As i'm more used to dealing with coin alignment coins i usually end up with the medal ons with the reverse upside down when i turn it over (i.e holding the coin at the sides and rotating like an old blackboard... but of course with medal alignment coins you have to hold the coin top and bottom and rotate sideways.)

Add to that list the following coins in medal alignment (in the coin alignment era).

1816-20 Half crowns (but strangely the crowns and trhe gold are in coin alig.)

Also gold coins minted between 1787 and 1813 were issued in medal alignment. In fact in this period all coins except copper coinage were issued in medal alignment.

I don't know why they kept switching backwards and forwards, there seems to have been little sense in it.

Archived