CoinPeople.com

Can anyone ID this?

syzygy

unknownsilverc1iu.jpg

I have long searched for information about this coin.  It is probably a piece of a coin, maybe Italian or Three Sicilies or something similar.  Anybody recognize this at all?

Looks like a whole coin to me. If it's silver, I like it.

Again just from a quick look at the coat of arms, it looks very close to Spannish!The edges may have been "Shaved", they did this to get extra silver from a coin and make smaller bullion bars from many shaveings.Investigate the coat of arms,it may be a Spannish territory??

Again just from a quick look at the coat of arms, it looks very close to Spannish!The edges may have been "Shaved", they did this to get extra silver from a coin and make smaller bullion bars from many shaveings.Investigate the coat of arms,it may be a Spannish territory??

Thanks for the help. I don't know too much about this coin and I am very anxious to make an attribution. My hunch is that it is Italian - possibly 1500s or 1600s. During that time it could certainly have Spanish or French representation.

The coat is not the same as the coin you pictured allthough there are some similarities. But, I have seen lots of similarities like that e.g. coat).

darnitall that portrait, especially with that collar, should be identifiable - looks like a little kid.

Well here's some help for ya. It's Spanish yes, but it wasn't minted in Spain. That's Philip II, of that I have no doubt. I thought at first it was from the Spanish Netherlands, but after consulting my books it isn't. Time period is 1554 - 1560.

You may well be correct that it is of an Italian origin as Philip was the King of Naples & Sicily - as well as Spain. Unfortunately - I have no books for Naples or Sicily in that time period to confirm the coin and it's gettin past my bedtime :ninja:

With that info - perhaps you can find it.

Archived