CoinPeople.com

Anninsk 5 Kopek copper slugs

Ian

Thanks for making me look closer! it is indeed a 1791/0 overstrike! I'll try experimenting with my scanner to see if i can capture it close up.

in the meantime I have to say that the 1793/2 of yours is a real thing of beauty. The overstrike is very clear and prominent.

Ian, those  are not overstrikes but overdates. Not the whole coin was struck over, only the the cipher "0" was altered on the die. Mostly the overdate is rarer than the plain date. Looking forward to the close up of the date. Cheers, Sigi 😀

Hi Sigi,

Not overly hung up on the semantics involved in that we both mean the same thing ....that being one digit of the date on the host coin has been overstruck using a different digit (normally a higher digit).

As an aside, the best example I have in my collection of an overstruck date is a fairly high grade Transylvanian thaler dated 1593/2. I'd post it here but it would be `off topic', this forum being for Russian coins. 

20 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hi Sigi,

here's a scan of the 91/0. The remnant of the 0 is still evident.

overstruck date.jpg

Ian, that is indeed a very nice and clear overdate! Congratulations. I'll examine pictures of AM coins closer now. Thank you very much.

Sigi