CoinPeople.com

ANACS

Grifter

Ok, I'm thinking about getting a coin that I have authentized and certified. I asked my local coin dealer if he thought it was a good idea and he said go for it.

He told me to go with ANACS. I'm just wondering whether or not anyone has had experience with them. Also, if I were to do it, I have some questions on how to send the coin, as I have had some problems with sending cash through the mailing system... :ninja:

Any help is appreciated.

I've sent coins to ANACS, NGC, and PCGS. ANACS has the bets customer service, the best turn around time and they are pretty good at what they do. Unless it's modern pieces you are trying to sell or anything MS66 and over ANACS is fine for resale as well.

NGC is pretty easy to deal with if you are an ANA member. Then it;s free to submit and relatively painless. Their turn around is also respectable.

PCGS is a pain, you have to join the collectors club or submit through a dealer. The prices are high and the lag time to get your coin back can be quite long. I would only use PCGS if you are going to sell higher grade mint state coins or modern stuff and hoping to get a registry winner.

As for mailing anything of significant value, I use registered mail. It almost never is lost and if it is lost you will get your money back as long as you have a receipt stating value.

Guest 50cents

I like them and never had a problem. They have quick turnaround times and the people that work there are very helpful. Check out the site , all the info is there.

I've never used them but from the numerous threads I've read, ANACS is a great place for all the above mentioned reasons. The coins I have bought that were graded by ANACS were correctly graded.

ANACS > NGC > PCGS for me. I've lost respect for PCGS.

In my experience, ANACS isn't any better or worse with grading than NGC (I've had upgrades for both, and also coins that would not cross). The turnaround is alright, but when I sent a coin in there about a year ago it was atrocious. They are extremely good and well respected on bust halves, and as for moderns, it's mixed, as the PCGS coins get the premium, but ANACS from what I hear is the hardest to get an MS-70 grade from.

I've never used ANACS, but an AU seated half I sold a fellow member here was shown to an ANACS grader at their coin expo in Frisco and the grader agreed with my raw grade. Guess that means I agree with their grading standards. ;-)

I guess the bottom line is.........What dealers are willing to buy from what graders???some years ago most would only buy from you if it was PCGS!they frowned on the others,just my experiances trying to sell back then,5 years ago. So. have things changed with this attitude of dealers??????I still like them RAW!old fashion I guess?.

Why you say stay away from PCGS? I thought they were tops in the coin slabbing field??(Dealers say), have things changed around in the past 5 years that Ive been away??? :ninja:

If you are a dealer they are the best if you are a collector not so much.

Why you say stay away from PCGS? I thought they were tops in the coin slabbing field??(Dealers say), have things changed around in the past 5 years that Ive been away??? :ninja:

It's not that things have changed - it's that more folks have become aware of how things are.

Why you say stay away from PCGS? I thought they were tops in the coin slabbing field?

Well, PCGS is most likely the party behind the rumors that PCGS is "tops". I've seen too many AU Morgans in PCGS MS63 holders to take them seriously. They also assign MS grades to chopmarked US Trade Dollars.

PCGS is a relentlessly overpromoted company with hucksterism as their bottom line. That's just my opinion, though. Your mileage may vary.

Very interesting to say the least. Thanks for the link.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get my scanner set up to scan my ANACS coins. We'll see if the great minds here agree with them or not (don't go looking for my posted grades now ya hear!).

Archived