CoinPeople.com

Anyone else have problems with Katz in Prauge not communicating?  Bought some coins from the recent Auction 35, and wired them payment.  They say they dont have it, its been 3 weeks.  They requested and I sent proof of wire transfer.  No response at all now.  First Auction with them.

Next step is to try a phone call.

So sorry to hear this.  Keep us posted on this.  I had wondered about using Katz and this answers that question.   FYI a top coin guy told me that you are always safe if you buy com members of International Association of Professional Numismatists.  So I always check   Katz is not a member   

5 hours ago, squirrel said:

Thanks guys.  I will update here when I hear back.  They did reply, by email,, saying they would have their accountant look into it.  Not reassuring.

I wouldn't worry any more than usual at this time. They typically take at least two months to ship. The more interesting question is why. I don't know the answer, but I have wondered if the coins are actually in Prague at the time of the auction. I hate to wait so long and I don't trust their images, so I don't bid on their auctions anymore. At this point, it's healthier to accept your fate and don't torture yourself.

I have been buying from him many times. As he sells most of his Russian coins to Russian buyers, the Russian coins are in Moscow. For non-Russian buyers he has to have the coins sent to Prague first. It takes 2 months or more to finally hold your purchase in hand. But KATZ is reliable, trustworthy.

Sigi

All good to know.   It is the inability to confim my transfer, after 3 weeks, that has my attention.   I have confirmation the payment was completed to the correct account from the tranfer service on my end.     

I cant complain about shipping time until they confirm they got paid.  Then I wait again, then I hope they dont screw up shipping, then I can see if there are any fakes!

Looking back, theres only one that could be iffy.   I was outbid on the better of two 1810 KM 5K, so I bid on the lower grade coin, and got it.  I thinks its ok, but maybe cleaned and retoned.   Hard to tell from the pics. 

Hope to receive an ugly messy overstrike to show here, I think its interesting, but want to get it first and take my own pics, lol.

Katz emailed me with a tracking number today!

Really weird communication from those guys.  I get emails that are clearly from several different people, who dont seem to be in synch with each other.  They are obviosly working from different locations,  but they all use the same email addy.  All signed "katz auction team".   No names. 

Next update when they arrive!

I experienced that, too. :angry: Only thing to do is to try again and again....... 

Sigi

Coins arrived!  Very pleased.    Pauls overstrike 1796 EM 5K  has clear  traces of \\\\\\\ edge  in 2 sections.   the rest is XXX.

I like a bargain, with overstrikes you can get 3 coins for the price of one, LOL.   

In hand, and in direct sunlight, the coins have much darker patina than the auction photos show.  I suspect photoshop correction to bring detail out, or some lighting conditions that distort color.   These pics were with my cell phone, in direct daylight.   

20201008_105039.jpg

20201008_105019.jpg

Congratulations, dear Josh. Nice coins both of them. The 1796 is very interesting. And sure worth the price - in fact it is a bargain!!

Sigi :)