CoinPeople.com

Help Needed in Identifying French Jeton, Early 1700s

I've been going through some old coins that used to belong to my grandfather. Although most of them have been easily identifiable, there is one I have been having trouble with. It is an undated French jeton, and though I've found some information on it, I can't help but feel like I'm missing something about it, as some of the information doesn't make much sense. This is what I know so far:

• Minted during the time of Louis XV
  • Obverse contains coat of arms of Louis-César Crémeaux (1679-1747), lieutenant general of Mâconnais --> his mother's half-sister, Françoise Louis, Duchess de la Vallière, was a mistress of Louis XIV from 1661-1667

Some specific questions I have:

• If it's truly a French token, why was it minted with the English spelling? (English spelling is "jetton," while the French spelling is "jeton")
  • On one website I found that was selling the same token, it mentioned Catherine Henriette de Balzac d'Entragues and Henry IV. They, however, were long before the time of Louis-César Crémeaux and seemingly have nothing to do with each other. Might they be distant relations, both having the title of "d'Entragues"? I'd love to know if there really is a connection there.

I've included a picture of the token for reference. Any information you might be able to provide, related to my specific questions or not, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

image.png.470e276769f917980f6ddabd31953089.png

image.png