CoinPeople.com

2016 1oz Somalian Gold Elephant (BU) 🇸🇴

Serendipity

I received this majestic 2016 1oz Somalian Gold Elephant yesterday from Bleyer Bullion which just had one in stock. The Somalian African Wildlife series is minted by the Bavarian State Mint in Munich, Germany, and has been a favourite of coin collectors worldwide for many years. My sincere apologies to fellow forum members who love the series as much as I do and missed out on the deal. By way of explanation, I had been scouting for that coin since last year and even ordered a direct fit air-tite capsule from the US specifically for the coin.

2016 1oz Somalian Gold Elephant (BU). 

Obverse: Features the Somalian Coat of Arms. In the image, a heraldic shield is flanked on both sides by a leopard. The shield itself features a single star set against a background of horizontal lines. Engravings include Somali Republic above, the year of minting on each side of the coat of arms along with the face value of 1000 shillings. 

Reverse: Depicts an African elephant tromping through a savannah. The African bush elephant, also known as the African savannah elephant, is the world’s largest living terrestrial animal with bulls reaching a shoulder height of 3.96m. Both sexes have tusks, which erupt when they are 1-3 years old and grow throughout life. The diameter of the coin is a very capacious 39mm in order to accommodate such a magnificent mammal.

78769184-D7E8-4C00-9F34-D797783216FD.jpeg