CoinPeople.com

New Here!

Hello and welcome. I reviewed your posts and think you will be a most welcome addition to the site. Nice posts and coins. 

Art

2 hours ago, Art1.2 said:

Hello and welcome. I reviewed your posts and think you will be a most welcome addition to the site. Nice posts and coins. 

Art

Thank you very much! It’s a real privilege! I’ve been collecting coins since 2018. My coin collection consists of a rich variety of world bullion and numismatic pieces, everything from exotic shipwreck coins to the cutest panda. Not even the pandemic can put a stop to my coin collecting. I’m doing everything I can to scout online for some of the best historical pieces.

We used to have a collector here who specialized in sovereigns. Unfortunately he passed away about 7 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Art1.2 said:

We used to have a collector here who specialized in sovereigns. Unfortunately he passed away about 7 years ago. 

I’m sorry to hear that. One of my sovereigns worries me. You are probably familiar as an American with air-tite capsules. I’m using direct fit 22mm air-tites to encapsulate my 22.05mm sovereigns. The heads on sovereigns are forever changing. Some are in high and others are in low relief. Some sovereigns rattle in the capsules while others don’t. What worries me is that one of my sovereigns seems to be slightly thicker than the others. The capsule holds the sovereign but doesn’t completely snap shut. I’m starting to suspect it might be a forgery. Perhaps old mints didn’t work to the same high standards as modern mints. I don’t really know. Perhaps there are slight discrepancies in older sovereigns. They didn’t mint them, of course, with modern plastic air-tite capsules in mind.

3 hours ago, SMS said:

Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to seeing more of your collection in the days to come!

I intend to purchase more sovereigns during the lockdown. I’m very careful where I buy my sovereigns from because of the proliferation of forgeries. Unfortunately, more forgeries turn up with numismatic than bullion coins because collectors generally pay more for numismatic coins. I’ve bought my sovereigns from Baldwin’s, Chards and Sovereign Rarities. I never buy any sovereigns from eBay. Even reputable dealers can sometimes mistakenly sell you a fake sovereign. One of my sovereigns worries me but my worries might be groundless.

4 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I’m sorry to hear that. One of my sovereigns worries me. You are probably familiar as an American with air-tite capsules. I’m using direct fit 22mm air-tites to encapsulate my 22.05mm sovereigns. The heads on sovereigns are forever changing. Some are in high and others are in low relief. Some sovereigns rattle in the capsules while others don’t. What worries me is that one of my sovereigns seems to be slightly thicker than the others. The capsule holds the sovereign but doesn’t completely snap shut. I’m starting to suspect it might be a forgery. Perhaps old mints didn’t work to the same high standards as modern mints. I don’t really know. Perhaps there are slight discrepancies in older sovereigns. They didn’t mint them, of course, with modern plastic air-tite capsules in mind.

You might want to send it to one of your friends at a company you trust and deal with for a quick look. If it is counterfeit it probably is known as such as no counterfeiters produced low quantities. Profit was in the sale of lots of them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, Art1.2 said:

You might want to send it to one of your friends at a company you trust and deal with for a quick look. If it is counterfeit it probably is known as such as no counterfeiters produced low quantities. Profit was in the sale of lots of them. 

I’ve discovered that none of my sovereigns are counterfeit and that the discrepancies in old sovereigns are accounted for by the old Victorian minting methods.

4BD83058-234D-4C85-8068-307AD4D40E47.jpeg