CoinPeople.com

PCGS considering new MS100 grading system

Michigan

Just another marketing ploy. A way to differentiate them from the other services.

So soon we'll have tables that say

PGGS NGC ANACS

SM94 MS66 MS64

The first is psychological. They might be able to persuade people into thinking they can grade MS coins to 20 or 30 distinct levels by using MS78, MS82, etc. It would be a tougher sell if they tried to use 64.66 and 65.25. People would tend to think the latter is ridiculous. No one can grade to a fraction. :ninja:

You know, there was a time when MS-61, MS-62 and MS-64 were thought to be unnecessary and many doubted that grading companines could get to such precise grades, so using decimals might not be so outlandish. Instead, they would likely use separate modifiers, so instead of MS-65.4, it's MS-65*. In any case, this is just a whole lot of hooey!

Guest Stujoe
You know, there was a time when MS-61, MS-62 and MS-64 were thought to be unnecessary and many doubted that grading companines could get to such precise grades, so using decimals might not be so outlandish.  Instead, they would likely use separate modifiers, so instead of MS-65.4, it's MS-65*.  In any case, this is just a whole lot of hooey!

But, on the other hand, there is a lot of money being made (through crackouts and resubmissions) by people taking advantage of the fact that the TPG's cannot consistently grade to the current 1 point scale.

But, on the other hand, there is a lot of money being made (through crackouts and resubmissions) by people taking advantage of the fact that the TPG's cannot consistently grade to the current 1 point scale.

I don't disagree stu, as I think there are very few areas where the single point is clear enough of a difference (MS-64 to MS-65 is a clear difference, but MS-60, MS-61 and MS-62 tend to be very similar from what I've seen). Despite what you and I both believe, the single point grades have gained market acceptance.

Guest Stujoe

Very true about the market. Looking into my crystal ball, if they don't do something like a 100 point scale, I predict we will see .5 grades before the end of the decade.

Guest Stujoe
You all have it wrong. It is a subtle attempt by the secretive and elusive Metric Minions to help push the final implimentation for the move to the metric system that Carter signed loooooooooong ago.

:ninja: You are probably correct! We USians have been so successfully converted thus far that this step is a no-brainer. ;)

You think that's bad, try driving a car in England... it's litres per mile in these parts.

Selling things weighed in imperial is illegal, putting up metric road signs (distance of towns and speed restrictions) is equally illegal.

Low bridges are another case in point the signs on the bridge tell you how many metres from road level to the underside of the bridge there are, whilst the sign warning you of an approaching low bridge will say, 'low bridge 100 yards ahead'!

Kinda stuck back in no man's land. You ask some how tall they are they tell you in feet and inches, if you ask how much someone weighs they tell you in stones and pounds. Ask them to measure from one side of the room to the other with a tape measure and you'll get either system. I use both.

I visualise imperial measures better than metric, but with temperature it's oC all the way. I never liked oF.

As for the 100 grades, it's getting ridiculous. I think 12 grades suffice, everything should be done in 12's as it's my lucky number. :ninja:

Absolutely.  Imagine all those millions of coins that people would send in for re-grading under the new system.

Ugh.... and push me even further away from slabbed coins.

don't get me wrong. I tend to trust an expert's skill in determining if a coin has been cleaned and its approximate grade. But beyond that, too much variability.

I need to finish my type set before every raw coin is so entombed.

David Hall, in the question and answer forum on CU is now saying that PCGS has no intention of going to a 1-100 scale. (Is he telling the truth, reacting to the backlash, or just trying to calm the waters before it gets dropped on us?)

To make it even worse, on another q&a he provides a chart of what he invisions a 1-70 to 1-100 conversion chart would be, and although it seperates the various sub mS grade levels further apart, it keeps the same number of grade points for each. So there would be absolutely no advantage to making the change

Archived