CoinPeople.com

New Jefferson Nickel (again)

syzygy

Guest Stujoe

It is not a bad obverse. I kind of like it. Though it will be interesting to see how it translates to a nickel sized business strike coin without shading and such artistic license. :ninja:

I thought we were in store for a return to monticello - I guess, in a sense, that's true. But, what goes on here... first we had two new reverses - handshake and keelboat...then a new obverse (profile) and reverse (buff)...then another reverse (Oh joy)...now another new obverse (face forward) with the original reverse.... I'm for change as much as the next guy, but that's a heck of a lot of changes in a few years for a buisness piece. I think they are playing us type set collectors!

I like change but SICK of dead Presidents. The U.S. has so much more of offer and a lifetime of dead politicians has more than worn thin. Apparently that is what DROVE me to the beauty and art of Europe, the search for Euros (silver) and a quest for world coins. Time will tell if it was a smart move but right now I am enjoying the dickens out of it!!!

Remember, they said this one is the last of the westward journey series, which opens the possibility of still returning to the 2003 design in 2007.  I hate the nickel thanks to Virginia politicians! :ninja:

I understood from the article that this one is here to stay for a while:

"This new image, based on a Rembrandt Peale painting of Jefferson in 1800, is expected to grace the nickel for years to come."

The placement of the image is interestingly fresh. I personally however, do not like the image as is so far. It looks too much like a painting and not nearly enough like a sculpture.

I don't care for it and especially for the Monticello design returning to the reverse. Heck it's time to change the nickel completely. I like the 2 designs a year concept. The nickel is sort of the backbone of US coinage. Gets lots of use. Why not bring back classic designs from the past?

I'd rather see the reverse changed more but at least it won't be the exact same thing. It'll make the proof sets a little more interesting.

I don't care for it and especially for the Monticello design returning to the reverse. Heck it's time to change the nickel completely. I like the 2 designs a year concept. The nickel is sort of the backbone of US coinage. Gets lots of use. Why not bring back classic designs from the past?

I agree with removing Monticello, but politics being what they are that isn't happening.

I have to disagree with you about the designs of the past. I think that as a nation we are not so creatively dead that we need to look backwards for our art. For inspiration, sure, but lets see some innovation again. Make 2005 more like 1905 and less like 1955.

I like the buffalo back, I think we should stick with that.

And as for US coinage only having dead presidents, thats not totally true, most of the new coins do have them except for the $1's but a lot of the old ones dont. As for me I dont collect pocket change. I like old coins which have great designs. Just my .02

Archived