CoinPeople.com

US 1928 Standing Liberty Quarter

syzygy

How do you grade this new aquisition?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade this new aquisition?

• AG3
    • G4
    • G6
    • VG8
    • VG10
    • F12
    • F15
    • VF20
    • VF25
    • VF30
    • VF35
    • EF40
    • EF45
    • AU50
    • AU55
    • MS60

Thanks much for the opinions and I hope to get some more from all of the kind folks here.

My own opinion is as follows:

It has *some* details consistent with a VF20 and even a VF35 - particularly on the obverse. The date is particularly strong and that is often not the case with these. The beading around the rim and the shield and breast are pretty well detailed. The leg is not too flat.

The reverse is more consistent with an F15. There is too much wear on the Eagle's feathers to go beyond F15.

I don't think there is any evidence of cleaning at all. Close inspection does not reveal any hairlines or any tell-tale signs of harsh cleaning. Granted, I did not spend too much time with the pics and the exposure on the reverse is a setting higher than the obverse (the actual coin color is the same on both sides). Hard to tell if it was ever dipped. After 77 years, I figure that silver is likely to tarnish in many, but not all, environments. Personally, I think dipping of silver coins is much more common than we sometimes think.

The coin was a recent purchase from a long-time dealer that I trust. He had it graded a simple F+.

It is always difficult to grade my own coins.

Archived