CoinPeople.com

DE: German States €2 Coin Series

tabbs

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was that the subtle way of writing "I know I missed the deadline but would still like to get some"? :ninja:

Problem is that, as I wrote, I won't have the time to go the Bundesbank again next week. Well, there are a couple left from yesterday's "purchase", so ...

Christian

I don't know, he hasn't saw some, but its better so, the holstentor I have from last year locks terrible, they're angelaufen.

What he tries to tell you is, that somebody didn't see some, and it would be better in his opinion. Vielwerth still have a holsentor coin from 2006, and this one doesn't look like it should looks like.. because the quality of this coin is unacceptable. I hope, everybody can understand this statement now. :ninja:;)

I hope Marvin knows what that means for him. ;)

Christian

Tu' ich aber nicht ;)

Oder ist mir etwa die Ehre einer Beschaffung erteilt? ;)

I prefer to get the whole set directly from Numismata Munich... only 4 weeks 'till...

Yeah, rub it in. :ninja: We don't have a WMF or Numismata in NW. The closest among the big ones are the Numismata Frankfurt (220 km) and the Holland Coin Fair in The Hague (250km).

On the other hand, if you went to the Stuttgart fair on 25 March, you could get one of the annual sets (KMS) including the MeckPomm coin and the Treaty of Rome coin ...

Christian

• 2 months later...
BTW, is Germany indeed doing a 'State €2 Coins' program like what the USA is doing with its Quarters? How many different designs will this create every year and will their regular 'Eagle' design be continued during that program?

One of the German States commems is issued per year, so unless some states merge, the series will end in 2021. :ninja: And yes, usually both the circulation coin (eagle) and the commemorative piece will be made. This year, with the Treaty of Rome commems, was an exception: The government did not want to issue three different pieces, so we will just have the ToR and the "MeckPomm" €2 coins this year.

Christian

One of the German States commems is issued per year, so unless some states merge, the series will end in 2021. :ninja: And yes, usually both the circulation coin (eagle) and the commemorative piece will be made. This year, with the Treaty of Rome commems, was an exception: The government did not want to issue three different pieces, so we will just have the ToR and the "MeckPomm" €2 coins this year.

Christian

Amazing. Thanx.

I've mentioned it before, collecting all of the different Euro coins from circulation must be a real challenge, with a the incredible number of varieties, some of which are very good looking indeed. How many different varieties of Euro coins are now in circulation?

Can we expect to see some German State €2s showing things other than buildings?

Mike

yup. i haven't been here as often these past few weeks so sometimes deadlines don't quite work out :|

Was that the subtle way of writing "I know I missed the deadline but would still like to get some"? :ninja:

Problem is that, as I wrote, I won't have the time to go the Bundesbank again next week. Well, there are a couple left from yesterday's "purchase", so ...

Christian

How many different varieties of Euro coins are now in circulation?

Uh, "many" ... There are 16 euro countries; 13 EU members that use the currency, plus three countries with monetary agreements. Each of the 16 has issued the 8 denominations from 1 cent to 2 euro. Monaco has changed the national sides once (Prince Rainier, Prince Albert), the Vatican twice (Pope John Paul, Vacant See, Pope Benedict) so far.

As for the common sides, there are two types: The EU-15 maps used in 1999-2006, and the updated Europe maps used in 2007 and later. Slovenia has "new map" coins only of course, and some euro countries still used the old maps this year, but all others have both types. (For some reason the "copper" coins were not updated. Maybe the European Council figured that nobody would have a really close look at the pieces, hehe.)

Can we expect to see some German State €2s showing things other than buildings?

Sure - the state name, the country name, the twelve stars of Europe, the year and the mintmark. :ninja: Seriously, each state will be represented by some more or less characteristic building. This is the current list of the issued and planned themes:

2006 (Schleswig-Holstein) Holstentor Lübeck

2007 (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) Schweriner Schloss

2008 (Hamburg) Michaeliskirche

2009 (Saarland) Ludwigskirche Saarbrücken

2010 (Bremen) Bremer Rathaus

2011 (Nordrhein-Westfalen) Kölner Dom

2012 (Bayern) Schloss Neuschwanstein

2013 (Baden-Württemberg) Kloster Maulbronn

2014 (Niedersachsen) St. Michael Hildesheim

2015 (Hessen) Paulskirche Frankfurt

2016 (Sachsen) Zwinger Dresden

2017 (Rheinland-Pfalz) Porta Nigra Trier

2018 (Berlin) Schloss Charlottenburg

2019 (Sachsen-Anhalt) Magdeburger Dom

2020 (Thüringen) Wartburg Eisenach

2021 (Brandenburg) Schloss Sanssouci Potsdam

That list may be modified later. For example, the Bavaria €2 piece was first supposed to show the Frauenkirche in Munich, but the state government opted for Neuschwanstein castle. Baden-Württemberg first wanted the castle in Heidelberg but now prefers the Maulbronn monastery. So maybe there will be more changes, who knows ...

Christian

yup. i haven't been here as often these past few weeks so sometimes deadlines don't quite work out :|

Basically not a problem, of course. :ninja: But I thought Marvin would take care of your MV and ToR requests ...

Christian

(Update 2008-02-03) This year's €2 commem from the German States series has just been issued, on Friday. The coin honors the city state of Hamburg and features St. Michael's church. The church tower, commonly called "Michel", is a landmark of the city. The "Œ" on the right refers to the designer Erich Ott.

comm_2008_de.jpg

While I do not like that design very much (state name in a tiny size, as if they had not had enough empty space on that side ...), I got a couple, so if anybody is interested, let me know. Note that mine are all from the Stuttgart mint and thus have the "F" mintmark.

Christian

• 9 months later...

CP members who have expressed their interest in the Hamburg coin:

banivechi ("a couple" ;) )

saankarite (3 pieces)

Scottishmoney (4 pieces)

Sir Sisu (2 pieces?)

Side note: Next week (Thu 7 Feb) the "Carl Spitzweg" coin http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=15010 will be issued. In case anybody wants both the €2 commemorative coin and that €10 collector coin, let me know.

Please note that due to the huge blank areas :ninja: even minor scratches (that are quite common with pieces from rolls) may be visible. Have I mentioned that I do not particularly like the design anyway?

If any of you asked for previous issues but has not got them yet - again, drop me a note (PM or here).

Christian

Seems that some of those €2 coins were minted with the wrong common side. All 2008 coins should have the map of Europe, but several dealers and collectors have reported "Hamburg" pieces made in Stuttgart with the old "EU-15" map. Last year Stuttgart had already made and "released" some 20 cent coins with the old map but dated 2007. Basically the same thing as in Finland but the other way round ...

Don't think that any of the pieces that I sent to CoinPeeps have the old map though. :ninja:

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Gotalove the Eurozone. Not only so many designs, but so many errors too! :ninja:

The guy who had the whole Euro idea was a coin collector right?! "How can I make my collecting easier and more interesting"

Oh, and I'd be interested in getting hold of these coins so far, if you still have any available.

Archived