CoinPeople.com

1983 Olympic Silver Dollar Question - 180 degree rotation

Deeadora

Hi there everyone, I'm very unfamiliar with coin collecting and value so have a question about what I think is an error and wether it makes this coin more valuable..

I have inherited an 1983 Olympic Dollar .900 fine silver proof edition coin which I understand aren't very valuable - it is still in it's original box, though unfortunately the adhesive holding the cardboard sleeve together aged and split meaning the coin has oxidised a little. I've just noticed though, that that the die of the bald eagle on the reverse of the coin is upside down to the discus thrower on the obverse. I've looked at many images and listings of this coin for sale and they are all right way up and I thought it was standard that the opposite sides of a coin face the same way instead of the images being 180 degrees off?

Images attached for reference,

Any help and advice is much appreciated,

Thanks! :)

olympicdollarcoin.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

United States coins are general coin aligned, including the commemorative versions.  That means that the images will be right-side up when flipping the coin around from top to bottom.  Medals are aligned so that both sides are right-side up when flipping the coin left or right.

Coins are normally aligned as such so that one is able to "flip the wrist" while holding the coin upright by its edges and still be able to see the opposite side right-side up.  Medals are generally aligned as such so one may be able to turn the medal around (as "medallions" are normally worn around the neck) and showcase the opposite side right-side up while being worn.

I hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, SMS said:

Welcome to the forum!

United States coins are general coin aligned, including the commemorative versions.  That means that the images will be right-side up when flipping the coin around from top to bottom.  Medals are aligned so that both sides are right-side up when flipping the coin left or right.

Coins are normally aligned as such so that one is able to "flip the wrist" while holding the coin upright by its edges and still be able to see the opposite side right-side up.  Medals are generally aligned as such so one may be able to turn the medal around (as "medallions" are normally worn around the neck) and showcase the opposite side right-side up while being worn.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for clarifying that, very helpful! :)

I'm from Australia and only really used to our currency and know that if this was the case on our coins and medals it would be considered a rotation. 

So it's not really valuable at all, and I guess the packaging issue decreases the value even more so.

Thanks again for the insight