CoinPeople.com

Silver?

syzygy

After selecting two coins during my last visit to one of my favorite coin shops, I hit the three boxes of six-for-a-buck world coins – it’s become a ritual. In this case, thanks to a post here about shapes as a topical, I was gathering up a few multi-sided varieties. Then I spotted this oddball. It looked like a proof medal of some kind. While checking out, the dealer (who is always extremely friendly) told me that it should not have been in the “junk” box. I asked him what it was and he replied that he thought it was silver and gave it a drop on the counter (the ring test). “Silver?? Really? - nahhhh” I was perfectly willing to pass it up and offered to do so, but he said no, so it came back with me.

Anybody recognize it? I did some searching on the net and the Sutu Palace is a famous palace in Bucharest and very rich with history. Apparently, this is some kind of commemorative piece, but I did not find it listed anywhere – anybody recognizes it?

It weighs about 9.7 grams and is 28 cm in diameter. To satisfy my curiosity, I did a quick test to measure its specific gravity (the technique I used is illustrated here if you are interested: http://www.mendosus.com/sg.html ). And what do you know; it came out at about 10.3-10.4 – right around the value for high purity silver. So, I learned a couple of things: 1) I can’t tell the “twang” from silver and 2) Coin dealers who have been looking at silver coins for the last kazillion years can. :ninja:

gallery_69_14_48355.jpg

In 2003 the National Bank of Romania put out a mint set comprising the "Sutu Palace Bucharest"  silver medal. This may be what you have, the medal from the mint set.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds about right. I have been looking online..just because not knowing is a pain...but no luck yet...

The National Bank and State Mint looked like they were going to be good hits.

http://www.bnro.ro/def_en.htm

http://www.monetariastatului.ro/index-en.html

But nothing yet.

I got a great medal from a junkbox today. It's about 30mm, extremely high relief portrait of Joan of Arc on the obverse and a lower relief image of the Joan of Arc basilica in Domremy. On the obverse is 1412-1431 and below those two dates is 1909. It seems to be struck in nickel.

This is now my favorite exonumia find from a junkbox even though I paid silver melt price for it by weight and it turned out not to be silver. I had thought it was low fineness silver from the color.

This medal was initially in a 2003 mint set dedicated to Bucarest City Museum containing proof coins of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000 and 5000 lei.

The medal is from 800/1000 silver,28 mm, 10 grams in Proof quality, mintage of 10.000 ex.

Official price of mintset was in 2003 400.000 lei (aprox 20$). Only the medat today is in value of 20$... nice aquisition!

This medal was initially in a 2003 mint set dedicated to Bucarest City Museum containing proof coins of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000 and 5000 lei.

The medal is from 800/1000 silver,28 mm, 10 grams in Proof quality, mintage of 10.000 ex.

Official price of mintset was in 2003 400.000 lei (aprox 20$). Only the medat today is in value of 20$... nice aquisition!

cool!