CoinPeople.com

AT OR NT

Guest 50cents

Guest Stujoe

After the last set of photos that were shown in the other thread, I am going to only say that it does not look like obvious AT from that photo in that light and at that angle and on this day. :ninja:

My gut, though, says it has about a 90 percent or greater chance of being NT. My biggest hedge is the way the picture was taken in that it doesn't really show luster and looks to be over saturated or something making it look rahter un-lifelike.

One general thing I wonder about with toning as well is what makes the colors? The silver can really only turn to an oxide (black) a sulfide (most common and black) and a chloride (white). There's a way to get purple with iodine but that's rather fake.

So it must be the copper in the alloy that gives it the color right?

Oxides of copper are red, sulfides still dark, but with some carbon you can get greens and blues too.

Guest Stujoe

The colors are from the same type process that causes oil to give a rainbow effect on water. Thin film interference. or something like that. That is about all I have read or understand about it. We need a physicist. :ninja:

Hmm, tht makes some sense so the closer your toned beauty is to violet the sooner it will turn black. Although I suppose slabs are pretty good at keeping the Hydrogen sulfide away from the surface.

Guest Stujoe
Hmm, tht makes some sense so the closer your toned beauty is to violet the sooner it will turn black. 

That is the way I understand it. There is a specific sequence of progression of colors depending upon how thick the toning is. But, of course, I cannot remember the sequence. :ninja:

Although I suppose slabs are pretty good at keeping the Hydrogen sulfide away from the surface.

Not really, if the sulphur is airborne. Generally, slabs leak air and allow any atmospheric contaminant in. They're pretty good at stopping surface wear, though. ;-)

Not really, if the sulphur is airborne.  Generally, slabs leak air and allow any atmospheric contaminant in.  They're pretty good at stopping surface wear, though.  ;-)

Really? They must slow the process somewhat. They do have those color guarantees for copper.

Archived