CoinPeople.com

Dansco holes

6_tool_9

Hi, I'm new to this site but not collecting. Hope y'all don't mind if i jump right in w/ a question. . .?

I like my dansco albums but sometimes the holes are a little snug (easily fixed) or too loose/big, eps the Type set ,--then the old coin spins every time you open or close it and then its facing east or west every couple of weeks depending on what hemisphere you live in. And you have wait every 6 months for it to be facing upright with the rest of the gang. Or, you have to keep fixing it, and when you slide out the clear plastic thing, it just scratches the plastic thing more...

Any ideas on 'tightening up' the loose holes so the precious old copper or silver won't spin and not damage the coin. Duct tape, Bubble gum and cardboard shim withsuper glue didn't seem to work very well :ninja: Or is it hopeless

Muchas gracias,

MJK

Thank you for responding so quickly, wow, you all are fast and friendly on this site!! Yes, I think it is the coin's fault being too 'small', but is a very fine or better coin that i scoped for months to get the right look, and cost me a lot of $ -- to go an replace it for the hole size seemed too drastic, so I didn't know if anyone had some ideas of sorts on shims to keep it from rotating.

..Yes, use shims!....You can take some of the very plastic slides that hold the coins in place & cut them into very thin strips. then cut the strips shorter so that you can bend them into a circle so they will fit into the coin hole. the strip should set just inside the border of the inside of the hole. then slide the coin into the hole. If the hole is still too big, then insert another shim until you get a good fit. You can insert shorter shims if you want to take up only a little extra space. I've done this.....hope that helps!!!!! :ninja:

..Yes, use shims!....You can take some of the very plastic slides that hold the coins in place & cut them into very thin strips. then cut the strips shorter so that you can bend them into a circle so they will fit into the coin hole. the strip should set just inside the border of the inside of the hole. then slide the coin into the hole. If the hole is still too big, then insert another shim until you get a good fit. You can insert shorter shims if you want to take up only a little extra space. I've done this.....hope that helps!!!!! :ninja:

;) Sounds like good possiblities! Now off to find wifey's Xacto knife. thank you okrecer03!!!

Any other success stories?

MJK

:ninja:  Sounds like good possiblities! Now off to find wifey's Xacto knife. thank you okrecer03!!!

Any other success stories?

MJK

...glad to help!....oh, and I have also made thicker shims by taking those 2x2 coin holders (you know, the little cardboard holder with the hole for the coin & a clear mylar lining, that you staple closed). What I do is to cut the holder into thin strips(just like as I mentioned in prev post), so I have a thin cardboard strip with mylar lining on one side of it. Again, cut that strip a little shorter so you can bend it into a circle. Make sure that the mylar lining is on the INSIDE of this circle. Place the strip into the coin hole of your album as a shim. This should be so the edge of the coin will be touching the mylar side once inside the album hole. Slide the coin in to check for a good fit........You can make all sorts of big & little shims to take up just the space you need to.......... hope that made sense!!!!!

Archived