CoinPeople.com

The truth about the 1982 cent please

SSGRENFRO

hello thank you in advance for any help you give me I am trying to watch all these videos about the 82 pennies large date this small date that I have three that weighs 3.1 grams but believe they're all large date so do those have any value at all cuz it doesn't specify on either the videos they're all Denver mint that weighs 3.1 grams, if you read my ignorant this is only my second month dealing with coins...

In 1982, the U.S. Mint changed the composition of the one cent from a copper alloy weighing 3.11 grams to a copper-plated zinc, which weighs 2.5 grams.  This, along with a variety in the fonts used for the date, resulted in seven known varieties for the 1982 U.S. Once Cent coin:

Copper alloy (3.11 grams):  1982 large date, 1982 small date, 1982-D large date

Copper-plated Zinc (2.5 grams):  1982 large date, 1982 small date, 1982-D large date, 1982-D small date

Of these, the 1982 small date of each composition carry the higher premium.  The copper-plated zinc variety carries the higher premium of the two.  Relatively speaking, the premiums are rather small considering that a gem mint state coin (MS-65 grade) would value at between 50 cents and $1.

Modern cents for the most part do not generally have a high value (especially in circulated conditions).  That includes the 1982 large and small  date cents, though the premiums stated before do climb considerably as the grade increases.  However, this is true of both the 1982 and 1983 issues as there were no uncirculated Mint Sets issued by the U.S. Mint in these years.  So, mint state coins of these years are a bit tougher to come by in high grade as opposed to other modern years that do have Mint Sets available.

I hope you find this hobby and field of study to be enjoyable, relaxing and rewarding!

• 7 months later...