CoinPeople.com

Help With Proof Sets: 2004 Falklands and 1991 Nigeria??

Britcoin

Although I collect predecimal British, I have looked for some time and to no avail for the following Royal Mint struck proof sets, and appreciate any info there might be about the sets in the wild (not just the Royal Mint original For Sale Ads):

1 - 1991 Nigeria Proof Set

2 - 2004 Falkland Islands Proof Set

I did manage to get one of the 2004 Falkland Specimen sets which are very proof like, but obviously not Proof.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:31 AM, Britcoin said:

1 - 1991 Nigeria Proof Set

I would suggest that you contact the National Bank of Nigeria. Also attach a photo of the set.

I do know that some African countries do not have proof sets, only mint-sets. Very often the mint-sets are mistaken as proof sets.

Yes, the direct approach is a good suggestion. I have a couple of friends from Nigeria that may know some additional ins and outs. Evidently the 1991 set was struck at the Royal Mint. I actually don't have a picture and not even listed in Krause.

An interesting note with  regards to the 2004 Falklands set: originally the mintage was to be unlimited, then dropped to 2500 & then the last figure was "less than 50". As they are essentially base metal sets, even some of these may have made it to the rubbish/dumpster!