CoinPeople.com

1837 Token Help

Fropa

I'm trying to educate myself on the world coins I own. I bought the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins but this coin was not listed. It is an 1837 Half Cent bank token. On the obverse the words PROVINCE DU BAS CANADA are around the top and UN SOU on the bottom. The reverse has BANK TOKEN along the top and HALF PENNY along the bottom. In a ribbon near the bottom it says BANQUE DU PEUPLE and in the ring that looks like a belt it says CONCORDIA SALUS. I couldn't get any good pictures of the whole coin, but below are some photos of the main designs.

Token1.jpg

Token2.jpg

Token3.jpg

Any information about this coin would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same thing you have, except it's a letter grade better and it's a 1cent instead of a half-penny.

Mine's worth about $5-10, probably closer to $5. That kinda gives you an idea how much yours is worth.

$3-$5 Canadian in that condition. Tokens are getting more difficult to find, I am anticipating there should be a price jump in the near future.

So would a One Penny token of the same year, about 1-2 letter grades better be worth closer to $10? Mine still has a full rim and doesn't look corroded like this one does.

Guest Aidan Work

Habitant pieces are very common.We get them turning up quite often over here in New Zealand.It is the St George pieces from Upper Canada

which are becoming difficult to find,especially the very underrated 1857's.

Aidan.

Guest Aidan Work

Does anyone know what 'Banque de Peuple' means when you translate it from Quebecois into English? I have not only seen this inscribed on Habitant coins,but also on some of the Bouquet Sous from Montreal,which I can guess used to be the capital of Quebec.

Aidan.

Does anyone know what 'Banque de Peuple' means when you translate it from Quebecois into English? I have not only seen this inscribed on Habitant coins,but also on some of the Bouquet Sous from Montreal,which I can guess used to be the capital of Quebec.

Aidan.

My translation would be "The People's Bank", but my French isn't the best.

Archived