CoinPeople.com

Need help identifying gold color coin/medallion from 1991

pakalbekim

I have successfully identified more than 100 different coins from my collection, only this one is left. I suspect it can be a medallion, as it doesnt have a numismatic value. Also there is a notch at the top - just the place to bind the string/chain to hang the medallion. The year is 1991 and there is only a bald guy and some stars. That might be from soviet union (Lenin?) or some other communist country. However the other graphics/art is more oriental. Let me know if you can help me, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump to you that I just cannot find any information on this piece at all.  The use of encircling stars along with encircling rosettes has me stumped.  If I had to guess, I would say possibly south/central american in nature.  From Colombia or Brasil maybe.

Hey I have just checked the other website I asked for help, and they found out what it is!! Here is pasted answer:

" The guy depicted is Kemal Ataturk, founding father of modern Turkey. This coin looks like a gold bullion coin. Here's the numista listing of the 25 kurus, but it could be another denomination: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces56980.html "

I didn't even look into Turkey!   Interestingly, though, my Krause shows the de Luxe series only through 1980.  Now knowing what it is supposed to be, a little research should be made to authenticate the piece.  Thank you. I learned something new and interesting today!