CoinPeople.com

Talk to me about Euros

bobbycoin

So I desided to take on the Euro challange. I am hoping to get up to date asap and then just keep up. So I need to know how far behind I am.

Using This page I see that...

Each of these (15) countries have Euro designs:

Belgium

Germany

Greece

Spain

France

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

Monaco

The Netherlands

Austria

Portugal

San Marino

Finland

Vatican City

And each of those has at least the following (8) coins:

€2

€1

50 cent

20 cent

10 cent

5 cent

2 cent

1 cent

And there was 6 €2 commems in 2004 and 4 so far in 2005.

(15 * 8)+10 = 130 coins

Now becasue I am the way I am I also want by date. I cant seem to find anywhere that tells me what countries released in what years. IIRC there were a few countries in the first year and more joined in. Is each country minting them every year?

Now to sit down and create a have list. Then I can compare it to the total list and come up with a need list.

Thanks for any extra info guys.

-Bobby

Not too sure about the minor countries (Vatican, Monaco, San Marino) as I do not collect those) but the following countries have their Euro coins dated from 2002+ : Austria, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, and Portugal. Belgium, Germany, Finland, France, Netherlands, and Spain began dating their coins from 1999+.

You will have to decide whether you want to collect by mintmarks also. Germany has many and the 2002 issue for Greece also has different mintmarks (I made it a point to collect those as 2 denominations were minted in Finland :ninja: ) Then there are the major die varieties that are being found. I have the Belgian and Italian ones myself.

OK, I made a table with all the euros that I know have been minted/ You can see it here:

http://coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=83614

I dont have any info on Vatican, Monaco, or San Marino... other than in 2004 San Marino and Vatican City put out 2 Euro Commems so I assume they had circs also.

Once I have info on those I will add them in.

I will now get all the coins I have already and turn all those boxes Green ;)

:ninja:

-Bobby

OK, new list:

Germany 'A'

Germany 'J'

Germany Plain????

Greece

Greece 'S'

Belgium

Spain

France

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

The Netherlands

Austria

Portugal

Finland

San Marino

Vatican City

Monaco

Anyone know of any other Mints? Can anyone confirm that Germany has 2 or 3 mints? I cant find a web page that has a list like this for the life of me. I wonder if there is a book... Anyone know of a good website or book that would refrence each mint and the coins out of that mint? Can you tell me the name of any of the mints (A?, J?, S?)?

Also I have found out that Estonia(?), Lithuania (2007), and Slovakia(2009) are coming out with Euros. So gotta get as far as I can before the list grows! :ninja:

-Bobby

Bobby you can always do what I did. Bought a Euro album and filled it with uncirculated examples of all 8 coins from each euro country. I will continue to add coins from each new euro country when they start striking euro coinage. After filling 5 or 6 albums I then moved quickly to the SILVER EURO COMMEMORATIVES and that is really where my heart is at this time. Some of the euro countries issue silver at face value when the unc.s are released You CAN't beat the price for silver. I do have to pay the slight difference when converting U.S. cash to the euro but $6.00 to $6.50 for a SILVER $5 euro or $13 for a silver $10 euro is far better than paying $33 for a silver coin from the U.S. Mint in unc.! While it would be impossible and costly, if you could, to get them all I have built a very very nice collection since 2002. I now have contacts all over Europe sending me silver euros and all my extras or duplicates are passed on to other U.S. collectors at the same purchase or trade price that I paid. I NEVER refuse anything my European friends wish to send over as I know there is someone over here who will give them good homes. Welcome to the world of the Euro!

I dont do albums. And Im a circ guy. I create my own Folders. Each coin in a flip and into a 20 coin page. I imagine a monster folder of Euros :ninja:

Getting the coins I dont see a problem with. I have many contacts here on the forum, friends and friends of friends in Euro countries. Right now Im trying to build my knowledge. If there is one thing that coin collecting has tought me, learn before doing. I like to map out what there is first so I can see what is ahead of me.

I will prob do only Italian Silver (if there is any). Im going to collect the 2 Euro commems but those dont seem hard to get as I have about as many of those already then I do circs.

So as of now I need to know Mints. I guess it spills over from my US collection but I cant have just one.. If I know there are 2 more out there with diferent little letters on them.

-Bobby

Thank you Conder!

If I may elaberate a bit:

Did each of the German Mints mint each coin each year? (Ie: there would be 5 "sets" in 99, 5 "sets" in 2000....)

So there is only one "set" for Greece... they just split the denoms between two mints? Are there 2002 issues with no letter in the star?

-Bobby

So there is only one "set" for Greece... they just split the denoms between two mints? Are there 2002 issues with no letter in the star?

-Bobby

For the year 2002, there is 2 sets for Greece. Greece minted one of each denomination themselves for that year. However, they also ordered some extra coins from Finland (S for Suomi) and France (F is obvious).

So to answer your question, yes there are 2002 issues with no letter in the star. And these have the higher mintages. Those with a letter have a smaller mintage.

Did each of the German Mints mint each coin each year? (Ie: there would be 5 "sets" in 99, 5 "sets" in 2000....)

-Bobby

Yes, each mint in Germany has issued a coin for each year. However, I must warn you that beginning with 2003, some of the mintages for certain mints are extremely low for certain denominations. You will pay way above face value to get those. There are other countries that have low mintages for certain years (Belgium and Finland come immidiately to mind) for certain denominations. These sell for a high premium as they have become key dates even this early in the euro era. It seems that to avoid a shortage of coins when the switch to the euro happened tons of coins were minted, such that the following year (2003) it was found that not many new coins were needed in certain countries. Thus very low mintages. Most were probably struck for collector sets.

For the year 2002, there is 2 sets for Greece. Greece minted one of each denomination themselves for that year. However, they also ordered some extra coins from Finland (S for Suomi) and France (F is obvious).

So to answer your question, yes there are 2002 issues with no letter in the star. And these have the higher mintages. Those with a letter have a smaller mintage.

Awesome info, Thanks again Sir.

So:

02 Greece 1 cent

02 Greece 2 cent

02 Greece 5 cent

02 Greece 10 cent

02 Greece 20 cent

02 Greece 50 cent

02 Greece 1 Euro

02 Greece 2 Euro

02 F Greece 1 cent

02 F Greece 2 cent

02 F Greece 5 cent

02 F Greece 10 cent

02 S Greece 50 cent

02 S Greece 1 Euro

02 S Greece 2 Euro

Was the plane 02 Greece 20 cent the only 20 cent?

-Bobby

Let me correct a huge error. I placed Germany in the wrong group. It began issuing coins dated from 2002+.

Off to edit the Tables :ninja:

Yes, each mint in Germany has issued a coin for each year. However, I must warn you that beginning with 2003, some of the mintages for certain mints are extremely low for certain denominations. You will pay way above face value to get those. There are other countries that have low mintages for certain years (Belgium and Finland come immidiately to mind) for certain denominations. These sell for a high premium as they have become key dates even this early in the euro era. It seems that to avoid a shortage of coins when the switch to the euro happened tons of coins were minted, such that the following year (2003) it was found that not many new coins were needed in certain countries. Thus very low mintages. Most were probably struck for collector sets.

Was expected. But the sooner the better I imagine. Ill go for all the ones I can get for face, then go on with the rest.

-Bobby

Off to edit the Tables :ninja:

Was expected. But the sooner the better I imagine. Ill go for all the ones I can get for face, then go on with the rest.

-Bobby

Better is to search the key dates in the same time. You have chances to find some still cheap.

Better is to search the key dates in the same time. You have chances to find some still cheap.

Can anyone tell me any of the key dates so I can go for them?

Is there a similar book to the Redbook for euros?

-Bobby

Greece

no mintmark  all issues

F in a star  2002 1, 2, 5, 10, and 50 cent only

S in a star  2002 20 cent, 1 euro, 2 euro only

... says plane and S 20 cent

See my previous post about the €0.20 piece. E not F. ;)

... says plane and E

...<confused>

:ninja:

-Bobby

Archived