CoinPeople.com

2 kopecks 1758 overstruck on 2 Öre (ore) S.M. 1743-1750s

extant4cell

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

1 ore overstrikes into 1 kopeck coins are well known. 2 ore into 2 kopecks, should be just as common, but to find a coin with "left over", recognizable image is very difficult, and only a few of them are know. This is one of the examples that I managed to find after an exhausting search for it for many years. It's a nit fit, I think.

Hi Eugene, very interesting indeed but with all respect I must admit that from the pictures alone I am not quite convinced. I can imagine the Ö from ÖR but there should be the "2:" preceding it :confus: . That is all I see from the pictures. Are there more features visible? Does the weight correspond? Is the Swedish coin also yours? Its picture looks larger than the 2 kopek.. What about the edges? - I don't know what the Swedish edge should look like. Are there any traces of an overedge?

Let us know more, Sigi

You can guess some other features on the 2 k coin. They are very weak, but are there. You can guess some lines from the arrows and on the other side you can see the top lines from the shield and top crown, as well as a few signs from the side crown.

1 Ore were very close in size and weight to 1 kopeck coins. 2 Ore were bigger in size and heavier. What they did at Sestroretsk to battle that problem was cutting the 2 ore down in size and sending these "blanks" for edging, giving them a completely new edge, without any sign of previous coin. That's where a part of the problem is, these coins are VERY difficult to distinguish from original new coins from cannon alloy as the edges are new on both. I'll show the other 2 coins, images of which I have, to demonstrate the point of Ore being off center sometimes and cut down in size. :art:

ORE1.jpg

ORE2.jpg

001.jpg

ORE3.jpg

ORE4.jpg

001.jpg

"O" from ORE is probably the most prominent sign that coin is from 2 Ore, as this part of the image can only fit 2 ORE and no other Russian preceding coin from previous issues. Other features of 2 Ore largely disappear under a press... including "2".

Now it's clear to me: As the Swedish 2: ÖR were too large to be overstruck into 2 kopeks they were reduced in width. By that the 2: being close to the rim was lost - cut away. That explains why there remains only the host coin's Ö of 2: ÖR on your 2 kopek.

An extraordinary find - my most sincere congratulations :art:

And thank you for sharing.

Sigi

• 2 years later...

Hello!

Interesting. I can tell you that my 1 kopek/1 Öre SM also are cut pretty much alike the first of your here shown coins, and the extra 4 grams of copper were probably reused. Though I do not think that my specimen have a new egde, my memory tells me that it partly has the old edge from 1 Öre SM and the rest is just a plain, cut egde. But I'll check on that when I have access to my coin again!

• 3 weeks later...