CoinPeople.com

100 Ugly Coins or 1 Pretty One?

jlueke

This one blew me away, its a little nicer in the catalog than online but you still get the point. I am tempted to sell everything else coin related and just dote on this one single coin.

Do you guys prefer quantity or quality when it comes to collecting?

http://www.gmcoinart.de/shop/detailansicht...=106685&AuID=55

00085a00_bild.jpg00085r00_bild.jpg

The coin is beautiful. I prefer circulated coins and have a tendency to go for the mid-grade circs and thereby quantity over quality in some people's minds. BUT the history of the coin - the people who may have held it and used it is far more important to me than the "quality" of higher grades.

:ninja:

That coin is really really nice...not sure what I would do. Is this a coin you've always wanted and would be happy with?

That type wouldn't be in my top 25 but probably in my top 50. But it still is a bit out of my league. The estimate says 10,000 euro I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for double that.

The coin is beautiful. I prefer circulated coins and have a tendency to go for the mid-grade circs and thereby quantity over quality in some people's minds. BUT the history of the coin - the people who may have held it and used it is far more important to me than the "quality" of higher grades.

That is the other side, the history. There another coin in that auction, of the following type but in worse shape.

http://www.cngcoins.com/coin.asp?ITEM_ID=49256

But, that coin is interesting. Why a Byzantine type with Pahlavi (persian) script? If it was a Persian striking it after the Arab invasion why would he remove the fire altar? If it was a Greek why would he use Persian script? Was it struck by a converted Iranian, an Armernian?

That is where I get stuck, I do prefer quality but I am very much drawn to the history. Buying the best one can afford is a hollow maxim. It doesn't tell me how many coisn to buy per year

;)

I don't see why History must always go against quality.

Sometimes they can be hand in hand. You don't need a circulated coin to prove it's seen it's fair share of history (admittedly it certainly has). But UNC coins can also portray history, you can see the coin how someone at the time saw it, looking crisp.

You're seeing it how the designer saw it, how the first person saw it. To me a coin like that is like a moment captured in a bottle. It doesn't look like it's been through centuries of abuse, it looks like it just came out of the period it was from.

Now if that ain't worth paying for on a quality grade level and a history level then i don't know what is. Other may disagree.

I formerly thought quantity was the way to go. I've changed my mind, and I now prefer quality every time.

I don't see why History must always go against quality.

You are correct, history does not have to o against quality. But, it can go against aesthetics. Some very important coins are just plain ugly

Yes, I have noticed. The least you could do is to hand out some napkins with your pictures. The drool is everywhere. :lol:

:ninja:;);)

If the choice is between 100 ugly coin or 1 spectacular coins, I am one who would tend to skip either choice and I would buy maybe 20 or so decent coins. :ninja:

Same. I don't usually demand UNCs, just nice pieces. Some coins, like Victorian Canadian 50c are so strictly (under-)graded that even a fine looks really good.

I am still not sure which I prefer. I love Uncs. Like the ling said, to see what a coin originally looked like after minting; clean, lustre, sharp details, etc. That is something I like.

Then again, I like to have and see the coin designs of other countries and eras, even if they are not unc.

However, if by "100 ugly coins" it is meant that the coins are bent, corroded, scratched, etc., I would take the one coins. If the ugly refers to designs, I think I would take the quantity.

• 2 months later...

Well, a quick look at my set would reveal my preference for quality over quantity. But the preference of others here is widely varied. I like that our hobby provides so many fun paths to go down and enjoy.

IMO that coin is absolutely gorgeous and would be hard to resist.

This one blew me away, its a little nicer in the catalog than online but you still get the point.  I am tempted to sell everything else coin related and just dote on this one single coin.

Do you guys prefer quantity or quality when it comes to collecting?

http://www.gmcoinart.de/shop/detailansicht...=106685&AuID=55

00085a00_bild.jpg00085r00_bild.jpg

I go for quality.

Archived