CoinPeople.com

The future of foreign coin album manufacturing...?

gxseries

With the rise of internet and collectors finding it easier to collect coins from all over the world - there's one aspect that's still somewhat lacking. That's properly design coin albums. Dansco used to manufacture them around 1960s but that's already well over 50 years ago!

This actually gives rise to collecting such albums and many foreign Dansco album can command serious premium even in used condition, well easily 50 - 100 USD+. In fact a book was written about them a while back:

Now how can something not be replicated today? With any business model, supply and demand comes to mind. I'm sure the demand is out there but to provide limited amount of supply at the right price proves to be challenging. Fortunately technology is out there to help. With the aid of photoshop, creativity can come to place. Here are some examples around the world (designed to my taste)

Japan (it would be perfect for an updated page for Dansco Japan type set)

japan_tiny_11.jpg

Korea

korea_tiny_03.jpg

Russia

rus_paul_i_tiny_1.jpg

And of course flip books can be made as well to emulate coin albums online. In fact PCGS even got one step ahead and made it more customizable. Take for example this:

I have to argue that the design is wrong as when the pages are flipped, the coins are supposed to be in coin orientation, not medal orientation. (unless all of them happen to be die rotation error, which will be a serious collection by its own right!)

Alas, when one collect coins, collectors want to display them. The coins wouldn't stand out in a 2D display screen. But again, how complicated is making an album? Required materials are cardboard (paper), mylar sheet, some labels (ink / gold) and some screws. I would be interested in the overall manufacturing process and see how it can be done to relate to other numismatics field. May spark some interests. Until then, I guess it's another day...

Nice concept and album pages. I've always admired your virtual displays and in fact it would be interesting to make an actual album. Good luck with your project.

Someone could create a customization app to allow the user to pick the coin sizes and labels and then generate the album pages.

1) I echo other comments above - love the virtual displays you do. I wish the old timers of CP would return and post their gorgeous coins just like you do.

2) I love the idea, guys (especially the app idea, Art). In the age of 3D printing, this would be super simple to fabricate, too.

i've never liked the albums where you press the coin into the cardboard (although i'd totally buy one to use to keep track of what i have).

home-produced albums almost certainly have problems like chemicals that would interfere with preservation ... you could go out and buy the right kind of paper, but labels and printer stuff would screw things up.

art's idea of an app to produce this stuff is pretty cool, presumably that you could print it "safely."

The materials would be a major concern as most normal papers and cardboards would foul the coins. BUT art board and acid free paper could be used. As far as printing there are quite a number of inert inks available. For example the ink used on US currency.

Of course Henare is correct in that producing coin safe versions would become rather expensive and probably mirror the reason so many companies are stopping production of folders and such.

no problem. squeeze that into your inkjet or laser printer at home and you're good to go :)

That would be some trick wouldn't it. Sorry bad example.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It seems to me that as the general interest in collecting wanes, the need grows for the ability to produce custom displays like the wonder albums we see here. Of course and advantage would be that the coins could be safely stored in inert materials and safe locations while being beautifully displayed in a number of “collector” arrangements. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 5:11 AM, Art1.2 said:

It seems to me that as the general interest in collecting wanes, the need grows for the ability to produce custom displays like the wonder albums we see here. Of course and advantage would be that the coins could be safely stored in inert materials and safe locations while being beautifully displayed in a number of “collector” arrangements. 

Art, I really want to make my own coin collection holder but I know the materials have to be selected carefully. The wood, the finish, the felt, etc.

5 hours ago, thedeadpoint said:

Art, I really want to make my own coin collection holder but I know the materials have to be selected carefully. The wood, the finish, the felt, etc.

So true. Materials and finishes at every step of the process need to be carefully controlled. Then after that we have the environment. Humidity, temperature, sunlight, etc. For example the “coin cabinets” employed in the 19th and 20th Century often resulted in pieces being toned but also scratched from friction. Even safeguarding pieces in a Bank vault is fraught with problems. OH MY! What to do!