CoinPeople.com

Notre Dame (Rouen)

Silver jeton struck in 1712, during the reign of Louis XIV, for the clergy / church wardens of Notre Dame (Rouen).

1034172.jpg

Interesting design Ian. Looks to have seen some use. Maybe a pocket piece for a while.

Interesting design Ian. Looks to have seen some use. Maybe a pocket piece for a while.

Yep. It has probably been passed on by a fair number of hands in the past 300 years. Bear in mind that it is coin grade silver and as such is likely to have ended up used in commerce (in one form or another).

The number struck is unknown but unlikely to have been more than a few hundred. I haven't come across many examples of this jeton and the ones I have seen are generally the same or lower grade than my example.

The artist /engraver was indeed Thomas Bernard, who died in 1713. This must have been one of his last pieces of work.

The obverse depicts the Virgin Mary

The revers shows four people on the ground in prayer, JC in the air with his mother Mary kneeling at his feet.

In the exergue is (roughly translated) `The sisterhood of the blessed Virgin Mary, our lady (Notre Dame) of Rouen

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really neat find Ian. You are tempting me to go after some sort of token collection

....so what's stopping you?

Just too many things going on now to take the time to pursue another avenue of the hobby. I haven't even paid much attention to my main focus areas in the past years. I'm hoping that my concentration in 2016 will allow more collection time.