CoinPeople.com

100th Anniversary of the Panama Canal

What have I been doing when not posting on CoinPeople? In December 2014, I took a cruise through the Panama Canal to celebrate its 100th Anniversary.

In August 1914, the Panama Railroad Steamship Cristobal, made the first ocean-to-ocean passage through the canal carrying 50,000 commemorative medals. These popular medals are collected today as so-called dollars and are known by their Hibler and Kappan number as HK-398. Jeff Shevlin, better known as the So-Called Guy, wanted to commemorate the 100th anniversary by striking a new medal and carrying them through the canal during the 2014 anniversary year.

610 medals were struck by Daniel Carr at his Moonlight Mint commemorating the anniversary. Most were sold prior to the cruise with the promise that they would be carried through the canal before they were distributed. Three of us and our wives made the cruise in December 2014. As proof of passage, I photographed the medals at various points in the canal, the pictures here from the Gatung Locks on the Atlantic side of the canal (we passed from the Pacific to the Atlantic).

Posted Image

Mike and Jeff with medals by bsktmkr, on Flickr

Posted Image

Carrying the commemorative medal through the canal by bsktmkr, on Flickr

Posted Image

Medal reverse in Gatun Lock by bsktmkr, on Flickr

The full album of all the sights and fun of a fifteen day cruise can be viewed on Flickr. I have plenty of coin and medal albums posted there. The canal cruise album mostly shows life on board and the sights passing through the canal.Just click on the link under the photos to find my pages.

I have just enjoyed a trip through the Panama Canal and the Moonlight Mint(on Flickr) thanks :bthumbsup:

Me too. Thanks for posting this and sharing the experience with us.

Transit is about 8 hours. Cruise ships pay a premium to have priority for transit because they have docking schedules they have to meet.