CoinPeople.com

Siberian 10K coins

DAJ

i have been checking out Siberian 10 kopeck coins for a while and am flumoxed by how to determine the grade of the coin. Of course these are pretty prmitive and very old.

And i understand that some coins are more scarce than other and very rare coins have letter edges. But i will see a coin that looks pretty nice and the planchet is a mess or there is a slash across the coin and it is selling for $500. And of course the legibility on the obverse is big. And the surface not being porous.

Then i read different things about the copper composition contained in the coins. Does that have something to do with the huge size of the 10K? It is my understaning that regular coinage did not reach Siberia in sufficient quanities.

So if anyone wants to address these things and even show some favorites for examples, that would be fun. Best - Dwight

Hi Dwight,

The reason for the existence of Siberian regional coinage, is that the copper ore contained significant traces of gold and silver, but not significant enough to be worth the extraction of these precious metals. As such it was decided to make these regional coins at a lighter weight scale than the standard coinage. For example a standard 5 kopeck of that time should weigh 51.2 grams, so if there was a copper 10 kopecks it should weigh 102.4 grams, while the Siberian 10 kopecks weighs 65.5 grams.

The coins, in my opinion are on par with the coins minted at Ekaterinburgh. Nice examples could sometimes be found. Sigi has many: http://www.sigistenz.com/

I have a couple:

993636.jpg

1031048.jpg

Those are very nice! I have been exploring on EBAY, with its amazing prices. One can see anything. But it looks like sellers flagrantly buff up their coins for the sale. Heavy and obvious cleaning. Nice patina above.

i have been checking out Siberian 10 kopeck coins for a while and am flumoxed by how to determine the grade of the coin. Of course these are pretty prmitive and very old.

And i understand that some coins are more scarce than other and very rare coins have letter edges. But i will see a coin that looks pretty nice and the planchet is a mess or there is a slash across the coin and it is selling for $500. And of course the legibility on the obverse is big. And the surface not being porous.

Then i read different things about the copper composition contained in the coins. Does that have something to do with the huge size of the 10K? It is my understaning that regular coinage did not reach Siberia in sufficient quanities.

So if anyone wants to address these things and even show some favorites for examples, that would be fun. Best - Dwight

Hi Dwight, I have been after them for more than 40 years :crazy:

I do not care for other peoples' opinion on the grade of a coin. For me eye appeal counts. A slabber's "AU" may be an unpleasant coin and it even may be fake as has been demonstrated in this forum. Beware of fakes.The nicer a coin looks the greater the danger. The Russian company Montny Dwor shows a compilation of coin auctions of the recent years, see link below. But even there appear (very few) undetected fakes. The great majority are genuine, you can see there what the coins should look like. Enjoy, Sigi

http://www.m-dv.ru/monety-rossii-1700-1917/kid,14/mid,18/nid,29/types.html

Hi -

Agreed. Thanks for your comments and your posts. Anyone who has not seen your collection should so so.

I am just learning about these coins and the comments here are very helpful. Photos too. I wlll check the link. I have had major experience with fakes, described in a post several years ago.

Best - Dwight