CoinPeople.com

Some Reading Material...

Grifter

Yes you did.

I'm not into Toned coins but you didn't do enough research before you posted your question. The toned coins that are valuable and the TCCs people pay the huge cash for are Natural toned. Using chemicals or heat to tone your own coins is considered Artificial toneing and damaged goods. Add this to the "grifter" thing and the response is understandable.

But like I said, I'm not into toned coins and can't figure why someone would spend big bucks on any of it.

Personally Grifter, and everyone on that board (and many on this) will disagree with me but i view all that colourful toning as artificial.

One poster over their said to you (i think it was the second post), colourfully toned coins are done NATURALLY, usually by being stored in sulphur containing envelopes, in a warm area with a bit of moisture.

Now forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't such a storage method in such appalling conditions as that, Artificial? Afterall it's human intervention.

If you store coins like that in those conditions for several decades they consider it natural toning, if you stored it like that for sevral weeks they'd say you were trying to AT the coins! There's a Catch 22 there.

As far as i'm concerned Natural toning is caused by nature. If you sit coins on top of a cupboard and they tone then this is due to oxidisation, metal with oxygen with very little human intervention.

Putting coins in something you know will tone them must count as AT-ing surely?

I came off wrong, I think.

TCCS Thread

Yup. I would say so.

That said however, if I may be so blunt, I think your biggest failure was your sharp response to the first "negative" post to your question, regardless of whether it was justified or not. As a new forum member, where people have no idea about you, you should have concentrated on clearing up the confusion about your intentions rather than take personal offense and thus responding likewise. There are lots of scammers and losers in the coin world, so I personally feel that it is the reponsibility of the newbie to prove themselves first. That is why, for example, we have rules on this site for the advertsing forum.

My suggestion, if you wish to continue on the above forum, is to take to two pills of modesty, wash it down with some humility, and don't forget to swallow your pride. :ninja: Explain your question and intentions (toning just for personal curiosity) thouroughly and let any negative comments slide. You were being offered some advice and then your thread died because of the rest.

Good Luck!

Indeed, I did handle it in a very immature way. I didn't know when I responded to Newmismatist that he was one of the founders of the forum. I'll probably never post on that forum again... Oh well.

Ætheling, I agree with you. I'm sure some of the coins on that forum are AT, but what can I do? That's all that I'm going to say, because I really don't feel like doing what I did last night.

Ætheling, I agree with you.  I'm sure some of the coins on that forum are AT, but what can I do?  That's all that I'm going to say, because I really don't feel like doing what I did last night.

Letting it lie is probably for the best. :ninja:

And Grifter you're more mature than you think. You've admitted you are wrong and you are keen not to repeat the episode, this is wise and i think you are wiser beyond you're years.

Certainly more so than me at any rate.

Thread does not come up for me so I can't comment on that aspect.

As the whole natural toning/nature stuff.

First, most of what nature does leads to what I consider environmental damage. If I leave a dime on my porch out in the weather, it corrodes more than it tones. That is what I consider environmental damage. If a coin is dug from the ground, that is environmental damage.

Second, man is part of nature. :ninja: They did not make the old folders in order to tone coins. They did not make the mint bags with the idea of toning coins. They did not make the various mint packaging with the intent to tone coins. It just happened that they toned coins. More out of ignorance in making the products or not having the right technology to prevent it. I consider that all to be natural toning.

Toning is the same thing as 'cleaning', though. There is a 'good', there is a 'bad' and there is a wide area of questionable in between.

< Putting coins in something you know will tone them must count as AT-ing surely? >

Sure, but three years from now when you see one, if you can't tell it from the coin that was accidently left in a drawer somewhere for 50 years, now what is it?

If you don't KNOW the history of a specific coin, where it has been every day for the past 3 or 50 years and they look just alike how can you say what is natural and what is artificial? We all now of coins which we know are naturally toned that get body bagged for artificail toning, and coins that we know (because we know who did them) are artificial that get slabbed as natural. Even the "experts" can't always tell

But I don't think it is pretty because of the cleaning. I have seen many coins that I think are pretty because of the toning. That was my point. :ninja: I don't look at a cleaned coin and say "Wow, I am glad someone cleaned that coin so it would look like that!"

To me, cleaning is a negative and toning is sometimes a negative and sometimes a positive.

Let's admit this, there is a range of toning and cleaning methods available. Depending on how coins are toned and or cleaned, there are too many options out there. For example, some idiot could have cleaned it darn harshly using a sandpaper or some could have taken real long to clean coins. On the other hand, toning is like wine. Depending on the conditions, if you "ferment" it right, there are some range of tonings that you like. However if you overexceed the "fermenting" process, coins like wines will turn awful and in some cases develop horrible pittings which is a completely irreversble process.

Up to you to decide which one is better :ninja:

I'm still not gonna agree with you Stujoe,

I didn't expect you to! :ninja: You UKers seem to hate tonming. It must have to do with the drizzle and fog and such you get over there. ;)

Archived