CoinPeople.com

Woman to be on new $10 bill

It'd be nice to see our paper money radically redesigned, and more often than once every couple generations. Our pocket money could be celebratory rather than bo-o-oring.

I'd like to see a complete redesign every five years or so. We could dedicate each bill to a theme and change it with each redesign -- one bill could be about science, another about literature, another about art, that sort of thing. If the $2 is brought back, and we still cap it at the $100, that's seven bills we could use to represent more than just deceased political figures.

Mostly I just love the idea of a science-themed bill with Henrietta Leavitt or Annie Jump Cannon or Grace Hopper or Sally Ride (or George Washington Carver or Richard Feynman -- men do science too!) on it.

I'd like to see a complete redesign every five years or so. We could dedicate each bill to a theme and change it with each redesign -- one bill could be about science, another about literature, another about art, that sort of thing. If the $2 is brought back, and we still cap it at the $100, that's seven bills we could use to represent more than just deceased political figures.

Mostly I just love the idea of a science-themed bill with Henrietta Leavitt or Annie Jump Cannon or Grace Hopper or Sally Ride (or George Washington Carver or Richard Feynman -- men do science too!) on it.

The $2 is still printed. The series year is 2013.

I am a bit ambivalent about complete redesign, though changing the theme every decade or so seems nice.

Then we get politics involved again! Can we just bypass Congress and let the Treasury have full control over the designs (and have the public choose)?

Also, our nation is too ADD for these things. It starts off with every decade then it becomes like American Idol - a new season every season.

DP - You could mitigate that by added two things: no elected officials until they've been deceased for 25 or 50 (or more) years. And stagger the bills so they're released one each year in sequence. Each design gets a 7 year run, and there's still a new design every year.

Balaji -- thanks, I didn't know they were still running those off. I knew they were still legal tender, but thought we were still running on the last batch printed.

• 1 month later...

U.S DOES deserve a woman in a paper bill. Even my homeland, South Korea,(a few years ago) now feature a woman on the 50000 won ever since it had mother and son on a 100 hwan all the way back in the 60s, US deserve a fresh new bill and fresh new face with female for the first time.

Also, to extend the life of the bill, isn't it time to change to the new polymer notes?. Many nations are doing that, and even our friends up north (Canada) is doing it too.

Just a suggestion...