CoinPeople.com

Seen my dealers "Black Box" collection

Scottishmoney

I got my daughters 1847 counterfeit silver dollar in the mail today, showed it to my local dealer. We both agreed it is one of the best fakes we have seen, this is one of the few I have seen where the characters in the date were correct.

Later in the conversation he stepped away back to his safe, he brought out his large counterfeit collection. Fascinating stuff, most were contemporary counterfeits made ca. 1900 of Barber and early SLQ's etc. They look crude compared to some of the alpha fakes coming out of China. Never seen so many counterfeits before.

There was a great series of articles in Coin World over the last three weeks on counterfeirs in the early 1900s. This was when the silver in a silver dollar was worth about 40 cents, so many people were getting into the act, many producing coins not from base metal, but from silver, and often of greater fineness and weight that the US Mint!

There was a great series of articles in Coin World over the last three weeks on counterfeirs in the early 1900s.  This was when the silver in a silver dollar was worth about 40 cents, so many people were getting into the act, many producing coins not from base metal, but from silver, and often of greater fineness and weight that the US Mint!

I know this for a fact, I am looking for a particular counterfeiters work, there are only a couple of known extent examples and they were lost in a yard in the 1940's or 1950's. The rest were dumped in the Missouri river in 1918.

Sometime I am going to dig that yard up, that is if my Aunt gives me permission to:)

Glad you like the "dollar"!

I have a trade dollar copy, produced as a copy, I paid more then I should havefor it but it is a very well made proof coin.

I also have a 1873 CC counterfeit dollar that I paid a couple of bucks for.

Wouldn't you know I like the cheap fake better then the expensive copy?

:ninja:

I got my daughters 1847 counterfeit silver dollar in the mail today ...

Later in the conversation he stepped away back to his safe, he brought out his large counterfeit collection.

The essential distinguishing fact is that a dealer does not go out and buy fakes on eBay. Rather, they get stcuk with them. They are not in the so-called "dealer's black cabinet" as benchmarks.

It does not matter what your motives are. All that is measurable is that you bought a fake.

I got my daughters 1847 counterfeit silver dollar in the mail today ...

Later in the conversation he stepped away back to his safe, he brought out his large counterfeit collection.

The essential distinguishing fact is that a dealer does not go out and buy fakes on eBay. Rather, they get stcuk with them. They are not in the so-called "dealer's black cabinet" as benchmarks.

It does not matter what your motives are. All that is measurable is that you bought a fake.

These were not your Omega counterfeits, these were counterfeits of common Barber coinage from the early 20th century. If you had really read my original post you would have seen that. They were not even very good fakes.

Oh, and this was not an eBay purchase either, but a private party transaction.

Off the soapbox.

These were not your Omega counterfeits

I would have been quite excited to see one of those. Always wanted to but may never get the chance.

Even better would be holding the Omega and a real one side by side. Doubt I could tell the difference.

I would have been quite excited to see one of those. Always wanted to but may never get the chance.

Even better would be holding the Omega and a real one side by side. Doubt I could tell the difference.

I've only seen photos, but if you didn't know where to look for the "signature" I doubt you could tell it from a genuine example.

Archived