CoinPeople.com

Keeping paper bill safe?

detz

Right now I have most of my bills in a small fireproof safe in my house. One thing I thought of last night while I was putting some in plastic cases is if there is a fire this safe will keep them away from the direct flame but the heat would probably still melt the plastic and there for ruin the bills. What do you guys do...is there any real solution?

One thing, I am quite sure that the plastic is more likely to do harm to the note than the heat itself. ;)

Just make sure that it's PVC free.

I honestly doubt that the heat is strong enough to get to the insides of the safe, unless you put the safe right beside a heat generator :ninja:

I honestly don't know though, although it does depend on the type of plastic though, there is a huge range of plastic nowadays... I mean, plastics are being used in cookwares, don't you think for a sec that you might be eating plastic vapors? ;)

• 1 year later...
Right now I have most of my bills in a small fireproof safe in my house. One thing I thought of last night while I was putting some in plastic cases is if there is a fire this safe will keep them away from the direct flame but the heat would probably still melt the plastic and there for ruin the bills. What do you guys do...is there any real solution?

That is a good question to ask. But there are several issues here

1. Placing the notes in the proper sleeves - as was mentioned by someone else...use the non plasticized - use mylar or similar holders.

2. Security in the home is something you have to think about. If you purchased a small safe...now think about this, if the unfortunate should happen and someone breaks in your home....is the safe secured to a concrete foundation or burried in the wall, or can the theives just pick it up and walk out? I have several old bank check vaults that are also fire proof. These cannot be moved unless they have some substantial equipment and a number of helpers along with a truck that has either a power lift or a small crane. I know that is an exception. You could use a gun vault also.

3. Fire protection - each "fire safe" has a rating on it. It gives a quantified level of protection in terms of maximum heat and a duration of heat exposure. Most safes you can buy at an office store, have a minimal rating, but are termed "fire proof". What that basically means is that your contents will be protected for about 20 minutes of a moderate heat fire. If its hotter or the fire burns more than 20 minutes - your out of a collection.

Suggestion: If you dont have the resources or space for a large vault that is properly secured. Keep your notes in some type of container that you can keep them all in at once...and then go to your bank and rent a safety deposit box that will hold them all.

Jeff

I would hate to loose this new addition to my collection..."Battleship" note - 1918 SanFrancisco Federal Reserve Bank Note. Fr. 780

962.jpg

Suggestion: If you dont have the resources or space for a large vault that is properly secured. Keep your notes in some type of container that you can keep them all in at once...and then go to your bank and rent a safety deposit box that will hold them all.

Jeff

I would hate to loose this new addition to my collection..."Battleship" note - 1918 SanFrancisco Federal Reserve Bank Note. Fr. 780

Haha. I did that recently FINALLY after years of being advised to by my dad. Sadly they couldn't find the key to the last deposit box when I came to drop off my stuff before heading off to vacation!

PS. Gorgeous note. I really like the designs of that era - the farmer vs warehouse, etc.

Anyone?

The term "plastics" is a generic term.....what you dont want is the vinyl pages or holders...these ooze over years. My father years ago found that out with his stamps plate block collection. I had to go out and buy him glassine envelopes. I dont recommend those for currency however.

Technically you need is polyester film sleeves, one brand name is Mylar by DuPont.

Jeff

Look up Collector Safe on ebay - you'll find several listings for banknote holders; or you can get them from HobbiesDepot.com

I use them for all my notes. They have several sizes.

• 2 months later...

I use photo pages and sheet protectors that are available at office supply places.... I always buy the ones that say "Archival Safe" on them.... My collection has been in them for about 5 years with no problems......

Archived