CoinPeople.com

Redesigned US Notes (fictional)

thedeadpoint

I made a comment in another thread about "What is the US note designs were as colorful and artistic as you see everywhere else?" Then I saw an article online that someone had already answered that question.

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/money-designed-celebrate-science-instead-presidents/

I don't think it would ever happen. First, the current Congress (and, sadly, much of the American public) is very anti-science. Second, having to choose new designs would be a very political process - everyone lobbying for their different interests.

Pretty cool concepts but I'm still happy with our traditional designs!

USD_2014_set_back_low-copy.jpg

I like them but probably only because they're different. After a decade or so they'd be boring too. :grin:

because the us dollar is so widely used as a de facto currency where local currencies are unreliable or otherwise unavailable.

That is a very good point.

See my blog on the same fictional notes

http://nutmegcollector.blogspot.com/2014/10/us-currency-reimagined-to-celebrate.html

Here are another interesting proposed designs for US $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100

http://nutmegcollector.blogspot.com/2010/08/what-would-it-take-to-redesign-american.html

See my blog on the same fictional notes

http://nutmegcollector.blogspot.com/2014/10/us-currency-reimagined-to-celebrate.html

Here are another interesting proposed designs for US $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100

http://nutmegcollector.blogspot.com/2010/08/what-would-it-take-to-redesign-american.html

Very cool! Love some of these!

I continue to be disappointed that all these ignore the $2 denomination. That said, there is something to be said for classic greenback look, even the recent changes do not fundamentally alter that character.

I continue to be disappointed that all these ignore the $2 denomination. That said, there is something to be said for classic greenback look, even the recent changes do not fundamentally alter that character.

Maybe everyone agrees the $2 design is too perfect to touch (or use)

well, I think the $1 and $2 should be coins, so an absent note in a proposed redesign isn't, imho, a great omission.

well, I think the $1 and $2 should be coins, so an absent note in a proposed redesign isn't, imho, a great omission.

Coins or note, the $2 is a very useful denomination. I have first-hand seen the utility of the particular denomination here and elsewhere. It is the absence of this particular sweet spot between a $1 and $5 that puzzles me and I think is lamentable. I would personally prefer the note over the coin though.

$2 redesign is not considered because US $2 bills are not popular. Cash registers only have slots for $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills.

I am thinking this is a fallout of end of Legal tender!! Since there wasn't a $2 FRN, people just got used to idea of no $2. Or was $2 FRN not produced because even before this denomination was less popular? I am curious. What about the cash registers from 60s and before? Did the not have a slot for the $2?

There are $2 FRNs, first printed in 1976 to celebrate the U. S. Bicentennial. The most recent is series 2003. They are just not popular. Some people save them, believing they are rare. Some stores reluctant to take them.

Cash register was invented in 1883. The design of the cash drawer itself has not changed since its invention back in 1883. Small compartments in the front are for coins. The larger compartments behind the coin compartments are intended to hold one-, five-, 10-, and 20-dollar bills. Cashiers typically hide larger bills under the cash drawer.

Most of the $2's I've seen of late were 2003 and 2009 series. Some 2003A, 1995, and 1976 floating around, and once in a blue moon I'll see a 2013 series. I like getting them to spend - I've love to see people get more accustomed to them.

There are $2 FRNs, first printed in 1976 to celebrate the U. S. Bicentennial. The most recent is series 2003. They are just not popular. Some people save them, believing they are rare. Some stores reluctant to take them.

Cash register was invented in 1883. The design of the cash drawer itself has not changed since its invention back in 1883. Small compartments in the front are for coins. The larger compartments behind the coin compartments are intended to hold one-, five-, 10-, and 20-dollar bills. Cashiers typically hide larger bills under the cash drawer.

Oh, I didn't mean that there aren't any $2 FRNs. What I meant was when the Legal Tender vanished, there were already FRNs in all other denominations, just not $1 and $2. While $1 FRN was issued immediately, it wasn't until 1976 that $2 FRN came out, which was actually sold as a novelty item for most part, almost like the Presidential Dollar coins these days. The big gap of about 12 years made people used to not seeing a $2, so much that most people think they never printed them any more. Even today, that perception persists. IMO, that is what makes $2 not popular.

The question about cash register really was how did they handle 2s during 60s and before, as $2 was circulated fairly well. You response seems to imply that even then, there was no place for the 2 in the drawers, is that really true?

Most of the $2's I've seen of late were 2003 and 2009 series. Some 2003A, 1995, and 1976 floating around, and once in a blue moon I'll see a 2013 series. I like getting them to spend - I've love to see people get more accustomed to them.

I do spend them often. I also give them to my kids as spending money. The problem is, now even my local branch of my bank only orders when I ask them to, so I have to stock them only during the holidays.

Cash register has only 4 compartments for bills. It's up to the restore owner to consign their use. I do believe they are usually consigned to $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills

Anybody ever received a $2 bill in change at a store? I have never see one in circulation. Same go for $1 coins, hardly see them in circulation.