CoinPeople.com

Spanish Netherlands

Political jetons struck for the Spanish Netherlands are generally hard to find and usually relatively expensive when you do find them. Not having deep pockets i have shied away from developing any keen interest in collecting these pieces and its not an area i can claim to have any profound knowledge or expertise in.

That being said, this jeton was sold to me as being `copper' but on closer examination it is evidently silver or an alloy with a very high silver content. Mitchiner cites it as being issued in 1597 /8

1029670.jpg

reverse: the encamped Dutch army under Maurice of Orange being shielded by the Angel of God while the Spanish Army under Mendoza is massed the other side of the river at Dordrecht

obverse: Mendoza riding forward while being flailed by the arm of God.

Nice :bthumbsup:

In 1598 Mendoza with a large force laid siege to a number of neutral cities bordering the Republic & when they fell his troops committed many atrocities, including the murder of Wirich VI, Count of Daun zu Falkenstein (Ulrich VI von Daun-Falkenstein).

Maurice commanded a force only a quarter the size of Mendoza's but by using the rivers as barriers(when they were not frozen) and skillful maneuvering his troops, skirmishing, occupying strong-points, and seizing supplies etc he frustrated The Spanish advance into the Republic's territory, without engaging in any major combat, thereby gaining valuable time.

The Latin on the jeton translates as: Obv. Under his wings(this could have a deliberate double meaning) you are protected by a bronze shield, Rev. An avenging god pursues the proud.

Hi,

The `graininess' is in part due to the low definition scan and in part due to the fact that it is a good few years old. It has certainly seen a high element of circulation for a jeton, including having a mount added (and removed) at some stage.

I'll take a photograph (as best i can) and post tomorrow.

Nice :bthumbsup:

In 1598 Mendoza with a large force laid siege to a number of neutral cities bordering the Republic & when they fell his troops committed many atrocities, including the murder of Wirich VI, Count of Daun zu Falkenstein (Ulrich VI von Daun-Falkenstein).

Maurice commanded a force only a quarter the size of Mendoza's but by using the rivers as barriers(when they were not frozen) and skillful maneuvering his troops, skirmishing, occupying strong-points, and seizing supplies etc he frustrated The Spanish advance into the Republic's territory, without engaging in any major combat, thereby gaining valuable time.

The Latin on the jeton translates as: Obv. Under his wings(this could have a deliberate double meaning) you are protected by a bronze shield, Rev. An avenging god pursues the proud.

Thanks for the info and the translation of the legends. Much appreciated.

The imagery and language provides a fascinating portrayal of the politics and history of the time.

Hi,

The `graininess' is in part due to the low definition scan and in part due to the fact that it is a good few years old. It has certainly seen a high element of circulation for a jeton, including having a mount added (and removed) at some stage.

I'll take a photograph (as best i can) and post tomorrow.

Here's links to a couple more images. the first is a close up which shows some doubling to the horse's rear.

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/gallery/image/3532-orangeobv3

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/gallery/image/3531-orangeobv2