CoinPeople.com

Type set collectors

Dan769

On condition: I like my type coins around F-VF because, in general, all the design elements are clearly present.  More expensive coins may mean that I settle for a VG.  For very expensive ones, I will settle for whatever is in my comfort range.  On the opposite end of the continuum are very inexpensive coins and modern commemoratives (not necessarily mutually exclusive). Modern commemoratives, of course, are only going to be available in UNC or proof for the most part.  For inexpensive coins, I will try for an EF-AU, or an MS.  But everyone has his or her idea of “expensive”.  For me, expensive coins are near the edge of my comfort zone.

My type set contains anything from G to MS, depending on price. The recent coins are easily availalbe in MS, when they get older and get more expensive, I switch to lower grades, to keep it affordable.

On variety: Wow, this is where type sets offer so much freedom.  In general, I want all the major design varieties. Overdates, errors and minor changes are usually not a requirement.  On the otherhand, if I like one, then I will add it.

This sounds very familiar ;)

For example, I am currently working on a small cent type set. Some of them are so inexpensive that I can use MS / proof examples. Here is what I am assembling:

Flying eagle

Indian Head, copper-nickel, no shield

Indian Head, copper-nickel, shield

Indian Head, bronze

Lincoln, VDB on reverse

Lincoln, no VDB

Lincoln, VDB on shoulder

Lincoln, zinc-coated steel

Lincoln, copper, memorial

Lincoln, copper, memorial, smaller head

Lincoln, copper-plated zinc

I might add an 1864-L, but I will probably not add any small date / large date varieties.

Errors, like DD, are not part of the set – just my preference.  And if I change my mind – so what?  The goal right now is to have a good representation of the entire 150-year reign of the humble small cent.

Hmm, differs a little from my type set, cent section:

IHC CuNi, laurel leaves

IHC CuNi, oak leaves

IHC Bronze, oak leaves, last feather between I and C of amerICa

IHC Bronze, oak leaves, last feather between Cand A of ameriCA

Lincoln Wheat, Bronze

Lincoln Wheat, Steel

Lincoln Memorial, Bronze

Lincoln Memorial, Zinc clad

however, you inspired me to look for the VDB varieties and the large/small head varieties.. ;)

I haven't heard anyone about mint marks yet......

for my US type set , I want one of each varietiy and one of each mint mark. Basically, that means that I need three of the more modern coins, and 1 - 5 of the older ones. I don't know if I'll ever complete it, but I'll do my best :ninja:

Progress can be found here

I haven't heard anyone about mint marks yet......

for my US type set , I want one of each varietiy and one of each mint mark. Basically, that means that I need three of the more modern coins, and 1 - 5 of the older ones. I don't know if I'll ever complete it, but I'll do my best

I feel for you once you get to Classic head half and quarter eagles, and no-motto eagles! Those C and D mint coins can be pricey indeed!

And by the way, where are the CC mints in your set?

I feel for you once you get to Classic head half and quarter eagles, and no-motto eagles!  Those C and D mint coins can be pricey indeed!

And by the way, where are the  CC mints in your set?

I hope to add that column some day in the future, once I get my first CC coin :ninja:

so far I'm glad I have some "O" coins.....

You know, it's the CC Morgans that tend to be the real expensive ones, while many of the seated coins are quite cheap by comparison. I have a circulated 1877-CC seated dime that I bought in the 80s, and I think it was only $5 or $6. Today you could probably find one in F for $15 or so.

I'm debating exactly how to approach this one.

I recently sold my almost complete Dansco Album U.S. Type Set because I wanted the cash for some other things, and, because I was re-thinking my U.S. collecting and became dissatisfied with the quality of the coins I had gathered for this set.

I would like to get ... I think ... all post-1850 coins in mint state;

1800 to 1850-ish in EF or AU (45, 55 or 58);

and then go for the pre-1800 (really expensive items) in VF(35 if possible).

I know ... it'll cost several body parts, but it sounds like fun to me :ninja:

• 4 years later...

How am I assembling my type set?

Hmm... well, I'm doing the major designs first, not distinguishing between "with arrows" or "with stars" yet. I've been collecting for almost half my life and I still don't have a bust half or many of the seated designs, etc. About once or twice a year, I'll find a pretty coin I could use for my type set and I'll add it to my collection.

My standards are - it must look eye appealing. It doesn't have to be UNC or red or gorgeously toned. If its a rarer or older coin, I'm ok with a pretty "good" condition coin. One day I'll have the budget to make prettier upgrades.

Archived