CoinPeople.com

Really interesting coin - What it is?

phoebus

Hello fellows,

I registered here becouse I promysed to a friend to find what is the coin he found.

I searched all over the internet, but I did not find this exactly coin.

It looks like gold mixed with silver or other metal - I am not sure but it has a white-yelow collor, more yellow then white.

It shod not be a bronze or a coper one becouse it is very well preserved.

If some of you guys can help me to find what exactly is this coin and how much it costs I will be extremely grateful.

Thank you in advance!

moneta.jpg

Guys, is there someone that can help me to identify this coin. I tough that this is the largest numismatic forom, but I still do not have any sugestions.

Please help guys!

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Sorry but somehow I missed your post. Hopefully someone will be along with the correct expertise to give you some info. It's quite sharply struck so my initial guess would be copy but let's see what the experts have to say. Our most frequent posting expert is very busy at work this past few weeks. Hopefully he'll be by soon.

Hello and welcome to CoinPeople. Sorry but somehow I missed your post. Hopefully someone will be along with the correct expertise to give you some info. It's quite sharply struck so my initial guess would be copy but let's see what the experts have to say. Our most frequent posting expert is very busy at work this past few weeks. Hopefully he'll be by soon.

Thank you very much Art1.2! I will wait with a hope...

It is prety strange, becouse I really searched all availagle databases and I didnt find the exactly same coin. There is only different variations of the "genio avgvsti" side of the coin, but not this exactly. It looks prety much like this one:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=721728&AucID=1313&Lot=233&Val=5998a72be81016143b83f9028077dbd6

... but not the same.

By the way the both sides of the coin are reversed at 180 degrees. Is this something normal for ancient coins, or it is a sign that the coin is a fake one?

Welcome!

Your piece is a bronze folles of Maximinus II, struck circa 312 AD.

It depicts Sol* holding a cornucopia, and the mintmark ANT tells us that it was struck at the Antioch mint.

The brassy colour, as noted, appears to be the result of improper chemical cleaning - there are some bronze hints showing, though.

Rotations can vary widely for ancient coins.

*Sol, the Sun God, was a predominant religious figure in Rome from the 200s into the early 300s, until Constantine's open conversion to Christianity in 312 AD led to the rise of the monothestic God.

Welcome!

Your piece is a bronze folles of Maximinus II, struck circa 312 AD.

It depicts Sol* holding a cornucopia, and the mintmark ANT tells us that it was struck at the Antioch mint.

The brassy colour, as noted, appears to be the result of improper chemical cleaning - there are some bronze hints showing, though.

Rotations can vary widely for ancient coins.

*Sol, the Sun God, was a predominant religious figure in Rome from the 200s into the early 300s, until Constantine's open conversion to Christianity in 312 AD led to the rise of the monothestic God.

Thank you very much for the answer! Do you have any idea how much it cost. It seems it is a rare one...