CoinPeople.com

1704 Peter I ruble -overstrike-

sigistenz

I like it! Not easy to find pictures that show clear overstrikes especially silver coinage. Can you imagine what it was like back in those days when people received such coinage in circulation... 1 ruble must have been worth a fair amount of money back then.

This is the original host coin if anyone is interested: http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Silesia-Liegnitz-Brieg_1657-EW_thaler_Dav-7731

Anyone here can translate from spanish? Auto translation produced this disturbing bit: "They were minted on other European currencies hard type. In general it is impossible to distinguish the characteristics of the base currency. The failure to recognize the original coinage, makes this piece a very rare copy"

This is the original host coin if anyone is interested: http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Silesia-Liegnitz-Brieg_1657-EW_thaler_Dav-7731

So it's not a girl after all, but presumably Ludovicus. If I were a Russian buyer, I would be careful with this coin. Having boys on once mind, might be considered propaganda to minors these days. :D

Anyone here can translate from spanish? Auto translation produced this disturbing bit: "They were minted on other European currencies hard type. In general it is impossible to distinguish the characteristics of the base currency. The failure to recognize the original coinage, makes this piece a very rare copy"

Struck over a taler of Silesia... Cleaned. The first rubles (1704 and 1705) were struck over other coins of the taler type. Normally it is impossible to distinguish details of the host coin. Identification of the host coin makes this piece extremely rare.

Sigi

Struck over a taler of Silesia... Cleaned. The first rubles (1704 and 1705) were struck over other coins of the taler type. Normally it is impossible to distinguish details of the host coin. Identification of the host coin makes this piece extremely rare.

Sigi

Thank you

BKB - I still think it's a possibility with all due respect.

That said, has anyone saved a photo of a grivennik overstruck over a larger coin (and then cut) that was discussed a few years ago? I forgot to save it... :wallbash:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php/topic/20187-1755-grivennik-overstruck-on/

There is a judge in NY who once told me, that the words "with all due respect" mean F*** you :-) Anything in this life is possible. Some things are not very probable, though...

Can you show any examples where a coin's edge was filed round at a Russian mint after the coin was struck?

There is a judge in NY who once told me, that the words "with all due respect" mean F*** you :-) Anything in this life is possible. Some things are not very probable, though...

Can you show any examples where a coin's edge was filed round at a Russian mint after the coin was struck?

I hope that you know that I am not that very judge that told you that. :crazy:

That said, the only other example that I can think of is that overstruck 1755 grivennik that was discussed some time ago. I'm hoping someone here saved that photo because it was quite spectacular. I thought I did but I had to replace my computer some time ago and can't find them since then.

I did up a quick overlaying of the ruble against the host coin. It seems that some details don't match - maybe there are other varieties of this particular coin. What I have tried to do is to align circle that is in between the text and the main feature as well as aligning the hair. I reckon the host coin is cut down to 85% of it's original size. File is about 3mb large.

http://gxseries.com/dump/1704_1r_thaler.gif

Would like Steve's opinion when he gets around to seeing this :)

Here are all the pic in one place. I compared the size/outlines of the face and hear-do. It looks like the picture was turned the other way (as I did in the middle pic), so it is safe to assume that it was a different type of the taler used, and possibly with a larger picture, what would remove the need of cutting down the taler before it was used for the rouble... As I said, this is not my cap of tea, so I may be mistaken. Just my few kopecks to add to this conversation...

post-27191-0-75652500-1415976513_thumb.j

post-27191-0-31465700-1415976538_thumb.j

post-27191-0-80456500-1415976499_thumb.j

LOL, there aren't many minors collecting this types of coins... I like Luie more, than the Euro-vision's bearded "chick"... He almost managed to fool me! Oh, my - oh, my... I tell my kids for a lough... :)

Do not underestimate the power of bearded chicks over the weak minded. Legend has it that Artemiy Volinsky was able to buy his way out of corruption allegations by presenting Anna Ioanovna with a bearded chick.

If I got it as a bonus, I'd keep it... It's too cute... :) Can not comment on the edge...

To qualify for the bonus, you need to firmly establish yourself in the fields of greed and gullibility first. :rockon: