CoinPeople.com

Coins for Poland from 1707-1709 struck by Peter I

ultra

Hello,

Can anyone help me providing any kind of information about this small but very interesting series of coins?

The only thing I know is that they were struck for Russian army in Poland (?) with polish coin standard - timf and shostak (6 groszy).

http://www.m-dv.ru/monety-rossii-1700-1917/kid,7/mid,12/nid,121/types.html

Shostak seems to be much more uncommon than timf.
Unfortunately I do not know Russian and the only short info I managed to find was in Russian.

Thanks in advance.

Shostaks are insanely rare. Tympfs are very possible lately in any condition (available funds permitting). Too bad you do not understand Russian, because there is a book that describes this issue + history and politics behind it in good detail... Do you have any specific questions? I may be able to dig out that book and try to answer them. Otherwise, it is, like, 200 pages of information...

I just wanted to know an overall background of creating these coins ... Do we know how much were struck? Were they melted later or the mintage was very low? Why only shostacks and tympfs, no other polish denominations like very popular trojak (3 grossi) or ort (1/4 thaler)?

And by the way, can you tell me why these were created?:

http://www.m-dv.ru/monety-rossii-1700-1917/kid,7/mid,7/nid,63/types.html

http://www.m-dv.ru/monety-rossii-1700-1917/kid,8/mid,7/nid,63/types.html

Background: War with Carl (carolus) XII; August II enters into a secret "treaty" with Carl, overtly remaining an "ally" of Russia; meanwhile, Russia, oblivious to the fact of double-dealing, is forced to pay August insane sums of money in exchange for promises to maintain the army and to enter into the war (or, something like that) Russia also has a large military presence in Poland, which is also very expensive. Polish diplomats demand that russian wire kopek is valued as 120/130 kopeks = 1 thaler, in order to maintain a stable trade situation in Poland. In 1705 August and Peter, in Grodno, agree to minting of coin of Polish likeness. Minting of Tynfs and payments using this coinage produced 10-25% profit, unlike silver kopeks. In reality, could have been even higher, due to the fact that a lot of these coins were minted from very "bad" silver. Composition of silver under 500 and sometimes close to 350 in the alloy was found during the inspection.

Mintage: appears (from documents) to be in the millions. No info on what happened to it. You should look into Polish sources, because after 1709 it became a Polish problem... There may be some info on how this influx of "bad" coin was handled. Would be nice if you could find something.

No info on what happened to the coins, other than that practically all were used in Poland (territory of Ukraine and Belorussia now) and were legally circulating until 1714. A bit of that coin was "circulating" on Russian territories until 1723. Due to bad quality, no one wanted to accept these in Prussia, Germany (where the war continued) or the Polish territories.

No info why that denomination, as opposite to other small denominations.

Will look for something on those 2 patterns over the weekend. No promises...

Very usefull info. and currently the best book about Shestak and Tympf's is Ryabtsevich book .For varaity Diakov book is very good but more expencive.

Rarenum

Yep, very useful info, indeed. It is from Ryabtsevich book. Interesting enough, though, our new Polish friend who made me look for the book, and then re-read the damn thing, did not even acknowledge the receipt. Well, I am kinda ok I re-read it, because I forgot a lot of info., and it was interesting to read again. But...