CoinPeople.com

New purchase fom local show

HoledandCreative

It is a fantasy coin. If nothing else, the fact that the legend on the obverse is in Latin letters and the denomination on the reverse in Cyrillic letters should raise a big red flag.

The obverse is an imitation of one of the silver Livonian coins (for example, Bitkin 635, 48 Kopeek for Livonia) and the reverse is an imitation of Bitkin 589 (5 kopeek pattern coin).

Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Thank you. I was hoping to hear quite different news for my friend. When do you think it was made? 18th or 19th century? He was fairly confident that it was not a modern production, as was I. The coin, in hand, looks to be a nicely toned, early coin. The edge is interesting and may throw a different light on the piece. I will get a picture of the edge and post when I can.

I found this coin (after I posted) which is depicted as a fantasy coin on p. 126 of the Bakken Supplement to Brekke published in 1997. It is pictured at the top of the page.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I wouldn't waste any more time on it (edge pictures, etc.).

Not that I know of. However, you might be able to order the book from the publishers:

Norsk Numismatisk Forlag A/S

Øvre Slottsgd. 6

N-0157 Oslo

Norway

Also, the Russian Numismatic Society might be able to help. They published the first supplement to Brekke's original reference in 1987. Here is the website: http://russiannumismaticsociety.org/

I don't feel comfortable copying what is issued as "copyrighted" material. Both Mr. Brekke and Mr. Bakken have, unfortunately, passed away. Nevertheless, their work has copyright protection.

You asked for our opinion, and you got facts. Be happy! :)

Of course, if you choose not to believe it -- that is your problem, isn't it?

1. Okay, although I have never heard of the copyright police coming down on a picture or a page shared from any publication for research. Your pub so no problem here.

2. I already expressed my thanks without giving a thought about info not being legitimate.

3. Now, you imply you might have lied about it, I don't know why you would, unless making up things on the forum is just fun for you.

4. Out.

1. Okay, although I have never heard of the copyright police coming down on a picture or a page shared from any publication for research. Your pub so no problem here.

2. I already expressed my thanks without giving a thought about info not being legitimate.

3. Now, you imply you might have lied about it, I don't know why you would, unless making up things on the forum is just fun for you.

4. Out.

Please respect other forum members, you were provided disappointing yet accurate information.

There's a crap lot of counterfeits / fantasy coins spilling out in the market for the past few years. Regardless of what you say, a fantasy / counterfeit etc will always remain as it is. An investment in a catalog would be a lot cheaper.

You are more than welcome to take this discussion to other places and ask for their opinions. If there is anyone that claims that this is genuine, I would like to know.

I know at least five forum members who have that book, and I am sure there are more. They can confirm the information.

All I can say here, Mark Twain already said better:

"It is easier to fool someone, than to convince someone they have been fooled."

;)

that was real...

:bgreen:

While I do not see anything wrong in posting a photo of the page of the book one bought, especially with accurate attribution, not for financial gain but in furtherance of a pseudo-scientific (in this instance) discussion, I have no urge to help someone who is blatantly rude...

Not that you need to see a publication of this mickeymouse to know that it is not even a fake, but a piece of crap. If your friend been collecting coins till 77, he, at this stage in his life and having any numismatic library, should be able to see that this thing was never inside any official mint.