CoinPeople.com

A pretty bizarre 5 kopek counterfeit (copper plated lead)

gxseries

This coin has sparked an interest when I first saw it. While Swedish counterfeits of such 5 kopek are known and are quite rare, this brings counterfeit to a new level.

Presenting a copper plated lead 5 kopek. Yes, this is copper plated lead.

1027576.jpg

If you ask me, an original coin of 1796 AM 5 kopek is not terribly rare. Details are relatively good despite it's condition. While 5 kopek coins were common back then, this was still worth a fair amount of money. Therefore I believe this is a contemporary counterfeit that circulated back then.

I could be wrong and this may be part of a more modern counterfeit. What do you reckon?

Details wise, this actually looks very good. I have taken some photos to compare against. I just happened to have the same type and mint by coincedence even though I am not a big fan of this type of coinage.

1796_1.jpg

1796_2.jpg

You can see where the plating clearly
1796_side.jpg

Edge of the traces of copper
1796_edge1.jpg

Couldn't take a good photo of the lead side however it's almost smooth
1796_edge2.jpg

The weight of this coin is at 53.80g which is actually within tolerance level of this type of coin. I cannot help wondering if this was actually struck at the mint considering how good the detail is. But again, I don't know of any lead examples. On the other hand, I wonder how easy it was to get lead in such planchet and then copper plate it to make some money out of it.

Very interesting. I wonder about the origins of the lead piece too. Contemporary or modern. Is there sufficient market and pricing to justify modern counterfeits with actual copper plating?

These came to our town in Ukraine around 92. All kinds. Some of these, some 1725 5 cop, or about... Better quality than this. Disappeared very quickly.

There are people maybe in Russia still making these coins, fakes of the Konstantin ruble etc. I purchased some in Ukraine for very little money as educational pieces. I was surprised when I purchased them, seller could detect I was a foreigner from my accented Russian - and told me they are not real coins! Other times in Russia when I knew coins were obvious fakes the seller would insist they were real.