CoinPeople.com

Glasgow 2014 XX Commonwealth Games Workforce Medal

I worked for the Glasgow 2014 Organising Committee and on my last day of work I was handed this. I think it's really nice, and particularly like the Wellington statue with cone on the reverse :P

I can't confirm this but I am also hearing one was handed to every competing athlete as they departed the village too.

Not sure if it is entirely relevant to this forum, but I thought some of you would like to see it.

Photo 07-08-2014 11 02 13.jpg

Photo 07-08-2014 11 02 32.jpg

Congratulations! That's a terrific medal and a very nice reminder of your efforts on behalf of the games and athletes.

Thanks for your efforts regarding the Games, thoroughly enjoyed them. Now you have a nice memento.

As to the traffic cone on the Duke's head, I am somewhat bemused, he was a soldier who tirelessly fought against the French during the Napoleonic Wars, helping to free Portugal & Spain directly & assisting the other European powers in finally freeing Europe from Bonaparte's clutches by defeating the French at Waterloo, later becoming a leading statesman, so to me it just seems to be a mark of disrespect for someone so undeserving of it. Perhaps you could throw some light on the reason why?

I guess it would be a far more difficult task to place something on Nelson's head in Trafalgar Square, the pigeons seem to be the only ones able to do that!

Could it be that Nelson & Wolfe died in battle but the Duke had the misfortune to survive the Battle of Waterloo?

I visited Glasgow when I was in 5th grade. I'd love to go back.

I'm also a huge supporter of the Olympic games and wish we had something similar to the Commonwealth Games in America!

:art: to your efforts and the medal!

The volunteer's medals in past games were distinct from the athlete's participation medals, and in at least one case executives were given medal(s) that were a mule between the two.

As to the traffic cone on the Duke's head, I am somewhat bemused, he was a soldier who tirelessly fought against the French during the Napoleonic Wars, helping to free Portugal & Spain directly & assisting the other European powers in finally freeing Europe from Bonaparte's clutches by defeating the French at Waterloo, later becoming a leading statesman, so to me it just seems to be a mark of disrespect for someone so undeserving of it. Perhaps you could throw some light on the reason why?

Many statues are prone to the petty actions of drunkards on a Friday or Saturday night and I've seen many traffic cones on heads the next morning. However, I must agree, to put this on a medal is poor taste and undeserved -- I'm not quite sure what the designer/engraver was thinking... A shame. :confus:

Perhaps I can shed some light on the Wellington issue for those unfamiliar, basically as you can imagine it started by drunken capers, but any time Glasgow City Council removed the cone a new one would appear. Eventually (so the story goes!) it became a futile task to remove the cone the council deemed it to be a health and safety issue since if a cone was up there already nobody would climb the statue to put a new one on, so they left it. (This may not be entirely true, the council claim it costs them £10,000 a year to remove the cones, yet I never see it happen). There has been a cone on his head for the best part of three decades. It has become a symbol of Glasgow and our sense of humour, even appearing on tourist guides and other areas of popular culture. It's worth noting that the statue is right outside the Gallery of Modern Art.

I'd like to think the man himself wouldn't be too bothered about it, his statue is now an endearing part of Glasgow culture. Everyone knows where he stands, yet most could not tell you any of the nearby statues by name. Last year the council drew up plans to raise the plinth to double it's height, and this started mass petitions and protest by the people of Glasgow.

During the games the council replaced the cone with a golden one. The statue was also referenced several times in the opening ceremony.

So basically, Wellington and his traffic cone hat are one of the most iconic symbols of Glasgow, and this is why the cone appears on the medal. :)

1280px-Statue_of_Wellington%2C_mounted%2

Thanks for the nice photo of the Iron Duke on Copenhagen & the explanation. I was unaware of any reason why Wellington, in particular, would be so disliked in Glasgow and am relieved it is not meant as a sign of personal disrespect, just a longstanding prank & perhaps also a slight dig at some of the 'Modern Art' in the gallery.