CoinPeople.com

updates on my coin collection

wabnoles

Well everyone

Its been a while since I have posted anything regularly in this forum... last time I was here on a regular basis I was talking about getting into the "big silver coins". I have made it a habit to acquire at least one foreign silver coin at or near 25 grams preferably at least 83.5% but could be less if the price is right. Here's what I got:

1930 Hungary 5 Pengo

1939 Netherlands 2 1/2 Gulden

1944 Curacao 2 1/2 Gulden

1956 Morocco 500 Francs

1837 France 5 Francs

1869 France 5 Francs

1871 Spain 5 Pesetas

1916 Peru Sol

1869 Belgium 5 Francs

1888 Brazil 2000 reis

1877 Mexico 8 Reales

1907 Prussia 5 Mark

Still bargain bin hunting too... the other day at the 5 for a dollar bin got a 1892 British sixpence, 1882 Canadian 5 cents, 1968 Canadian silver dime, 1912 Belgian cent, 1950s era South African penny, and a recent Canadian dollar coin. Have a new "honey hole" in town too with British Commonwealth junk silver buckets (right up my alley).

Some of the "smalls" I acquired: an 1850 Netherlands 5 cents in nice condition, 1889 British 2 annas, 1835 United Colony of Demetery and Essequibo (British Guyana) 1/4 Gulder (beat up but an uncommon coin). As you tell, I am a guy who prioritizes silver but I do have some bronze/coppers of note: the counterstamped 1842 large cent mentioned before and an 1822 Lombardy-Venetia Centisimo (my first preunification Italian state coin). Well that is that. Have been silent on this board but have certainly kept busy with the collectin'

btw one other recent addition of note... threw in what I call a "lottery ticket bid" of $20 on a lot of 5 mercury dimes, two Barber dimes, an undated standing liberty quarter and shield nickel, and an 1867 3 cent nickel. To my shock, I won it for $14.50 (plus $2.85 shipping). I fully expect (and understand) the guy would cancel this auction but he gave me a good review so who knows.

btw one other recent addition of note... threw in what I call a "lottery ticket bid" of $20 on a lot of 5 mercury dimes, two Barber dimes, an undated standing liberty quarter and shield nickel, and an 1867 3 cent nickel. To my shock, I won it for $14.50 (plus $2.85 shipping). I fully expect (and understand) the guy would cancel this auction but he gave me a good review so who knows.

That's a great buy. There are some sellers who maintain their integrity and won't cancel on you even when the lot ends up like this. Glad you seem to have found one. I usually make sure that I track that seller and purchase from them as often as possible to reward their way of doing business.

Great call on the lot for $14.50. I've yet to experience the dreaded auction cancellation, but I've heard it from enough people to know that it can be a real bummer. I vehemently agree with Art's point about following an honest seller like that; the only way to keep good people in the market is to support them!

As far as your original question about gold coins (that everyone ignored, lol), I've always thought of British Sovereigns as the ideal starter coin. They're affordable fractional gold (about a quarter oz of gold) and aren't so rare that you'd pay a great deal over their melt value. But, Sovs are still legal tender coins from the 19th century, and those have always appealed to me more than the modern bullion coins.

French Gold Roosters are similar to Sovereigns in that they're very small gold coins with pretty cool designs. If you're into history (and are willing to shop around a bit longer), the Gold Napoleon coins from the early 1800s are pretty neat.

Like I said, though, those are really small gold coins. If you're comfortable with the smaller size, I'd even suggest $5 Half Eagle and $2.50 Quarter Eagle coins from the U.S. The ones minted after 1908 have an interesting incuse Indian Head design.

But hey, everyone seems to like larger coins. (Why not? The design is usually clearer, anyway.) Even though the $20 Double Eagles get all the pub for being the most beautiful U.S. gold coins, the $10 Half Eagles are one of my favorites. They have this unique design of Lady Liberty wearing the Indian headdress that Teddy Roosevelt suggested, and they contain closer to a half-ounce of gold, making them a hefty piece to behold.

I realize that I've only mentioned old, "pre-1933" gold coins, but those are the ones I like. The modern gold bullion coins are generally cool, too, but when the premium on the coin is basically the same whether its old or new, I'll opt for the historical coin.

Hope that helps, and I do enjoy talking about all these old gold coins, so feel free to ask me anything else you want to know! I have a blog about gold coins here, check it out if you get a chance: thebullionaire.tumblr.com

thanks for the tips... considering I am a big Commonwealth guy (ironically, do not have the big silver British Commonwealth coins but own a number of the smaller varieties) so I think the British gold is the way to go.

I too missed the question about the gold coins. Congratulations on the raise and wanting to stock some gold away. Sovereigns certainly are nice coins and can be had in great condition very near melt value. Be careful as there are a lot of fakes out there - true of all gold coins.

Happy day! Coins arrived and to my luck the 1913 Barber was a 1913 S! The shield nickel is a hard to read date but the last number is a 6 which means its either 1866 or 1876. The 3 cent piece is pretty worn on the reverse but still considering the 1913S and the silver weight alone, this lot is worth it.

Happy day! Coins arrived and to my luck the 1913 Barber was a 1913 S! The shield nickel is a hard to read date but the last number is a 6 which means its either 1866 or 1876. The 3 cent piece is pretty worn on the reverse but still considering the 1913S and the silver weight alone, this lot is worth it.

Also got a 1931D... good day for me

:bthumbsup::bthumbsup::bthumbsup:

Rooster would also be my pick for a first time gold since it looks nice (disclaimer: I've never actually seen one in person).

For a smaller piece, a half sovereign is also readily available for close to spot.