CoinPeople.com

Hello all

I am new here and I just wanted to say hello.

I am a coin collector especially US and French coins. I do it like a hobby.

I am also a webmaster and as I was bored to search for hours on Ebay, I have created a website that filters and ranks Ebay coin auctions in order to find interesting coins, if some of you want to have a look, it's here : http://www.coin-secret.com/index.php/top-coin-auctions/

Happy to join this forum.

It's a neat tool but I'd like to see the search criteria that's being applied. I'd also like to be able to edit it and change countries and such.

Thank you all for your welcome and your nice words about my website. Glad you like it.

I rank the auctions :

- by price in the TOP AUCTIONS page

- by "ending time" in the US coin pages, British coin pages, etc...

And I manually exclude many unrelated words. It is long to create but after it is all automatic.

It's an interesting post, as my instincts are to be wary of eBay coin sales, as I have no idea whether the items are legitimate or not. If they are, fantastic, as it's a great opportunity to buy coins at a price that's affordable. Having said that I have no idea what other sources fit that bill...!

Hey,

I'm also new on this message board. I've bought a handful of coins on eBay with mixed results. If the seller does a good job of taking pictures, you may be able to photograde a coin pretty accurately (assuming it's genuine). I bought a common date Walking Liberty half (1942, if I recall) that looked to have terrific luster and strike for about $35 on eBay; I sent it to NGC for grading and it came back MS64, which I was really happy with. I could probably sell it now for twice what I paid.

However, I've had equally bad experiences on eBay, too. I paid almost $20 for a 1943 Mercury dime that looked to have beautiful toning. When I received it, I realized the patina was clearly artificial, as it rubbed off easily between my fingers, revealing a white coin beneath. It still has AU details in my opinion, but nobody wants an altered coin; it was definitely a losing transaction on my end.

Sorry to lead the topic astray a bit; next time I'll start a new thread or find the relevant one to post in. I just think the risks/benefits of buying coins on eBay is really important for those of us just starting out to understand.

Glad to be a part of the community!

Hey,

I'm also new on this message board. I've bought a handful of coins on eBay with mixed results. If the seller does a good job of taking pictures, you may be able to photograde a coin pretty accurately (assuming it's genuine). I bought a common date Walking Liberty half (1942, if I recall) that looked to have terrific luster and strike for about $35 on eBay; I sent it to NGC for grading and it came back MS64, which I was really happy with. I could probably sell it now for twice what I paid.

However, I've had equally bad experiences on eBay, too. I paid almost $20 for a 1943 Mercury dime that looked to have beautiful toning. When I received it, I realized the patina was clearly artificial, as it rubbed off easily between my fingers, revealing a white coin beneath. It still has AU details in my opinion, but nobody wants an altered coin; it was definitely a losing transaction on my end.

Sorry to lead the topic astray a bit; next time I'll start a new thread or find the relevant one to post in. I just think the risks/benefits of buying coins on eBay is really important for those of us just starting out to understand.

Glad to be a part of the community!

Hello and welcome. I think your point about ebay being especially dangerous for beginners is well taken. I hadn't really thought about it that way.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually got into coins through my job; I'm a content writer for a coin company (Gainesville Coins), so hopefully I can offer some insights through my experiences with coins, and pick up some pointers from other members to help me get deeper into collecting.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually got into coins through my job; I'm a content writer for a coin company (Gainesville Coins), so hopefully I can offer some insights through my experiences with coins, and pick up some pointers from other members to help me get deeper into collecting.

Nice. Sounds like a job that I would enjoy. Glad you're here.