CoinPeople.com

Hello, Lincoln question.

jrwild9553

Hello, I am new here.

But would appreciate some opinions about this 1909-S Lincoln. The seller said that it may have been cleaned in the past. My question is,,,, are those brush marks on the obverse? Or possibly die cleaning marks. It has full sharp wheat's. I just don't want a cleaned one. Thanks, Jim

$_57.jpg

Can't tell from your photo. If they are marks in the die then they'll be slightly raised from the surface of the coin. Need a loupe to check that. Cleaning marks will be indentations.

Hi - welcome to Coinpeople!

Since the streaks look straight and flush with the material, I think they are part of the metal that was used to make the coin. I've seen many copper coins with similar streaking and it is not associated with cleaning, as far as I know.

However, a cleaned coin has a duller shine. Think about the difference between a shiny glass and one with a thin layer of grease on it. It may still be bright but it isn't sharp.

Hope that helps!

Since the streaks look straight and flush with the material, I think they are part of the metal that was used to make the coin. I've seen many copper coins with similar streaking and it is not associated with cleaning, as far as I know.

I agree with this.

The area in the field above "Liberty" looks a little funny, though.