CoinPeople.com

Coin market in late 2014

IMIS

ok, I will put a stake in the ground. I give it a 70%+ chance that we will see a buyer's market (excluding super low and super high price segments) this fall on. Any thoughts?

Theoretically due to "external environment" coin prices should go down. Collectible coins however do not tend to follow normal market trends as they are not an everyday necessity. Buyers will be less willing to pay high prices for collectible coins. Sellers however will hold to their coins till better times. There will be not many good coins to buy for cheap price.

Good to hear from you, Kopeikin. Overall, I agree with your thinking. Just a couple of comments.

Collectible coins however do not tend to follow normal market trends as they are not an everyday necessity.

Many luxury brands across various consumer categories were heavily discounted during 2009-2010. During that time period there were some sweet deals on really nice coins too.

Sellers however will hold to their coins till better times.

Collectors who have build their holdings over decades will do just that. I am not so sure about all sorts of profiteers who have been heating up the market lately by buying at one auction and reselling at the following auction. Some of these folks may have to sell.

May be I am mistaken, but I think the major Sincona Russian coin auctions are: Auction 2 (2011), Auction 7 (2012 - part 1), Auction 12 (2013 - part 3) and now Auction 19 (13-15 Oct 2014 - part 3). I didn't check with Sincona yet, but in Auction 7 this is what was said by Jurg Richer: "The unique "Sincona Collection" that encompasses about 9000 Russian silver and copper coins - the last of the great collections of the past and the greatest collection of Russian coins created in 20th centure - will be sold in three to four auction, each containing about 2000 lots..." I guess part 4 would be in order, but for some reason I thought this year was the last part... Why did I think that? I'll check with Vadim from Sincona, let's see what he has to say...

Vadim has already informed that there will be 4th part in October 2015, mentioning coins "from the last 4th part of the collection which will be auctioned in October 2015 ("... последней, четвертой части коллекции, которая пойдёт на аукцион в октябре 2015 года....") more than 2 months ago on one of the Russia's numismatic forums (link)

• 2 months later...