CoinPeople.com

New Common Reverse of the Euro Coins

tabbs

As from 2007 the euro and cent coins will have updated "maps" on the common sides. According to the latest issue of prägefrisch.de, the customer magazine of the German Numismatic Office (3/2005 issue p.7), it will show a geographic map of Europe, much like that on the current euro paper money series.

gallery_35_74_23909.jpg

(Just scanned this from a printed magazine page, so the picture quality is ho-hum. But you get an idea.)

Note that the transition will be smooth - the first EU member states to use the new design are probably countries that plan to introduce the euro, such as Estonia. The existing euro countries may "switch" very soon or after some time.

Christian

btw: Turkey seems obviously absent. :ninja:

Iceland is absent as well ... Actually I don't know whether this design is "official". The fact that it was published by the German numismatic office, and thus by the Federal Securities Administration, does not necessarily mean that this is exactly what we will have in our hands in 2007/08 :-)

The "problem" this time was that, by the time countries such as Estonia or Slovenia may adopt the euro, new members such as Bulgaria or Romania are likely to join the European Union. So it does make sense to show more than the EU-25. But countries that won't join in the foreseeable future do not have to be included - in 2015 or 2020 we can still think about a redesign. ;)

Christian

man, now we have to start all over again, getting al coins of all countries.....

Yes, I think so - but the word "now" should not be taken literally. It will probably take a while until all euro countries, old and new ones, use the new reverse design.

I just hope that those countries which "should" modify their obverses, according to the recommendations of the Commission and the Council, will either refrain from doing so, or do that at the same time when they change the reverse designs. Otherwise it would get even worse, with "old obv/new rev" and "new obv/old rev" combinations ... :ninja:

Christian

Poor Soviet Union :ninja:

She just got a lot smaller in size ;)

... and even ceased to exist in 1991. :D

P.S. European Union, Soviet Union ;)

Anti-American version:

President Putin - President Bush :lol:

Anti-Canadian version:

Gotta think about that. Will have something to do with somebody being queen by the grace of God. :cry:

As for Turkey, who knows, the country may one day be a member state of the European Union. But we are talking about a time frame of 10 to 15 years here. Russia, however ... hard to imagine. So this new "euro map" should be sufficient for quite a few years.

Christian

As for Turkey, who knows, the country may one day be a member state of the European Union.

Christian

About Turkey is hard to say if they will join soon the EU. Economically maybe the Europeans needs the cheap Turkish workers ( Germany is the second country for millions of Turks), or the cheap vegetables, but from Turkey comes many counterfeit goods, many drugs, there the human rights problem isn't yet solved (Kurds...), terrorism, etc. Don't forget that 20 years ago there were a military dictature. Turkey isn't stabile country yet. I was there in '90's and all I can say is that I saw people in small villages living like in 18'th century. Istanbul isn't the entire Turkey.

About Turkey is hard to say if they will join soon the EU.

No, the country will most certainly not join the EU "soon". As I wrote, this whole process will take a very long time. So we do not have to worry about whether that country will be depicted on euro coins to be issued in 2007 or 2008 ...

Christian

• 10 months later...

Voilà, here they are: Images of actual euro coins with the new look of the common sides ...

10 Cent - http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2652/10centmnzeneuyh4.jpg

10centmnzeneuyh4.jpg

20 Cent - http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/869/20centmnzeneurf2.jpg

20centmnzeneurf2.jpg

50 Cent - http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3535/50centmnzeneuev7.jpg

50centmnzeneuev7.jpg

1 Euro - http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/4680/1euromnzeneuqa5.jpg

1euromnzeneuqa5.jpg

2 Euro - http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/6311/2euromnzeneugn5.jpg

2euromnzeneugn5.jpg

Thanks to h.agt from muenzen.net! :ninja:

Christian

Very nice new design. So now there are two types of Euros for each country type set. Will the new coins be issued all at once or phased in?

Probably the latter. I don't think there will be any 2006 coins with the "new map"; these pictures are images of the Slovenian pieces, I suppose, which are dated 2007. The Finnish government already confirmed they will also start using the new designs next year. As for the other euro countries, well, guess they will switch either in 2007 or 2008.

What I don't know yet is whether any country specific sides will be adapted at the same time. (All newly designed national sides now have to show the country name, for example.) But I hope that any country which decides to modify its national side accordingly will do that, and the modification of the common side, at the same time. Otherwise things could get expensive for "type" collectors ...

Christian

• 1 month later...

More images of the common sides; these are the first pictures (that I have seen) which show all denominations. Posted in a euro forum by Vito from Ljubljana.

http://www.email.si/apps/es_gallery/a.php?id=19988

Each coin depicted in the gallery can be viewed in different sizes, or in a slideshow mode. (Use the controls on the right, above the large image.) Vito used a scanner, hence the somewhat odd texture on the €2 coin. The pictures show that the 1, 2 and 5 cent have indeed not been modified. But they show a blob anyway that just vaguely resembles Europe. :ninja:

Christian

Did the Spanish ports, Ceuta and Melilla in Morocco, suddenly expand dramatically in size? :cry:

I do not recognize third port in Africa ;)

Acores and Canarias seems to be washed in to the Ocean... :lol: (Sit tibi mare levis!)

On the other hand this style Italian boot looks much better! I like stiletto! :ninja:

Here is the text from the EU Official Journal:

"The new common sides will be applied as from 2007. The Member States adopting the euro from 2007 onwards will only issue euro coins with the new common sides. The Republic of Slovenia will be the first of the new Member States to do so. Current euro-area Member States may also start to apply the new common sides as from 2007 for new coin production, and will in any event switch to the new common side by 2008 at the latest."

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/e...9en00070008.pdf

(That is the English version. Replace the "en" - two times! - with "de" to see the German version, with "nl" to see the Dutch version, and so on.)

Christian

• 1 month later...
Is it me or does the UK look bigger than normal? perhaps to intice the UK to join :ninja:;)

Bigger? I am not sure ... on the new 10/20/50 cent coins the British Isles look fairly realistic. The new €1 and €2 pieces are not that well done with regard to, say, Ireland or the Hebrides. Darn ragged islands. ;)

And whether any non-euro country joins the currency union or not ... frankly, in my opinion that is a non-issue. Even those member states that are theoretically obliged to join - ie. all except Denmark and the UK - can and will practically stay out if they want to.

Christian

Archived