CoinPeople.com

Don't you ever hate this moment when...

gxseries

You have been hunting some scarce coins and all of a sudden you have sellers offering you key date coins. Not just one or two or three but FOUR. Bear in mind that these are coins that I have been hunting for more than five years easily and they rarely pop up in auctions. One of them turns out to be a coin that I have been hunting for more than ten years!

I might be able to afford a couple but it's a killer to see that many key coins offloaded at once when hunting one is trying to look for hen's teeth.

Now what would you do? Start to offload all your duplicates? I'm quite lost for words.

I've not had this experience but I can imagine that it can be quite frustrating and challenging at the same time. What to do? Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Tough call. I've only had a similar situation once, and I ended up passing on a number of pieces and went with the one that I felt would likely be most difficult to re-encounter, which conveniently was also the most attractively priced piece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd do my research and see what gave me the most bang for my buck. If you're not looking for high-qual key date examples necessarily, and what is available is commanding a premium for quality, I'd wait for a more reasonable piece. Or the reverse: Really wanting a gem key-date? Are these pieces up to snuff? If not, would you be content filling your space now and upgrading later? Or would you rather put that money toward a just-right fit? Is there a "just right" piece in the group of four?

On an emotional level, which would hurt the worst if someone bought it out from under you? (I do this for clothes as I work retail: "I love this skirt, and it's the only one left in my size... If someone buys it before my next shift, will I be heartbroken to see it's gone?)

Eh, that's my advice, anyway :)

I'd do my research and see what gave me the most bang for my buck. If you're not looking for high-qual key date examples necessarily, and what is available is commanding a premium for quality, I'd wait for a more reasonable piece. Or the reverse: Really wanting a gem key-date? Are these pieces up to snuff? If not, would you be content filling your space now and upgrading later? Or would you rather put that money toward a just-right fit? Is there a "just right" piece in the group of four?

On an emotional level, which would hurt the worst if someone bought it out from under you? (I do this for clothes as I work retail: "I love this skirt, and it's the only one left in my size... If someone buys it before my next shift, will I be heartbroken to see it's gone?)

Eh, that's my advice, anyway :)

Good approach. Hello Treasure Girl. Haven't seen you in a long long time. Glad you're back with us.

• 4 weeks later...

It took a while - in the off time I moved from St. Louis, MO to San Francisco, CA and most recently to the OC. A lot of the collection was sacrificed, but the gems of my type set are still with me. Back to square one searching bank rolls until we're not broke again ;)

It took a while - in the off time I moved from St. Louis, MO to San Francisco, CA and most recently to the OC. A lot of the collection was sacrificed, but the gems of my type set are still with me. Back to square one searching bank rolls until we're not broke again ;)

Congratulations on the move. Hope that you enjoy your new home. Parting with a collection and then rebuilding is a pretty common happening. We all run into things that require funding. Keep on enjoying. Welcome back.