CoinPeople.com

Russian coins of interest (quality, rarety, beauty) for sale on eBay...

extant4cell

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking denga (2nd template) with late 1730 issue eagle (further simplified type III).. :) Congrats!

Eight types of Denga Averse Templates:

post-27191-0-14078700-1399624217_thumb.j

Eagles types for the very first type of averse:

post-27191-0-86423200-1399625706_thumb.j

(from http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=131192&&do=findComment&comment=1398640 )

This is my long searched for find :), it's not from eBay but I'll show here anyway. Just received and re-photographed.

post-27191-0-94118300-1402612745_thumb.j

This is the very first type of Averse with the very first original rosette (6 petals flower with lines) and original daler type bow, and the very first type of eagle... I only know 2 coins so far:

post-27191-0-48287100-1399625715_thumb.j

(there must be more!). If you find one similar, please show me...

Averse - Type II - originated in 1730

Reverse - simplification of Type III eagle (3 feathers in tail, no toungs, no lines between feathers, no crosses on crowns) and similar to Type IV - also originated in 1730

You coin's dies have a date 1731, but they are designed, and pretty much made in the end of 1730 for the next year issue. It is reasonably rare.

1026730.jpg

Similar to:

18 - аверс: орёл образца 1730г., девять перьев в одном крыле и десять в другом, хвост орла - по три ряда перьев с каждой стороны, крест державы простой, малые короны без крестов
реверс: шаблон №2, розетка образца 1730г., пятилепестковая, в форме цветка, боковые ветви - по тринадцать листочков с каждой стороны, нижние ветви пальмовые с обвязкой (бантом)
монета встречается реже
post-20732-0-47031000-1382970159_thumb.j

(from #51)

Nice token! Can you tell more about it. I am not into tokens but it's interesting anyway...

whats its value? I cant understand Russian so, hard to read the information.

Hard to say, anywhere between $30 and $100 depending on market and interest generated. I would pay the first price and not the second...

Nice token! Can you tell more about it. I am not into tokens but it's interesting anyway...

Catherine 2 had put up a monument to Peter the Great in St. Petersburg. The 'Bronze Horseman' as Pushkin referred to it, has become an iconic symbol of that city. The sign on the stone reads "To Peter I from Catherine II". Of course Catherine was in no way related or descendant from Peter, so the monument had a political significance in establishing a feeling of continuity in the ruling dynasty.

Eugene do you want one? I have a spare. :)

I also have 2 copper medals, one is similar to the above token, and the other celebrates the transport of the rock that the horseman is mounted on. Apparently that alone was a "monumental" :) undertaking, and took a lot of effort and a lot of serfs.

Thank you for sharing Alex, can we see the other medals? I watched a program some time ago about transporting the rock that had to be really big to withstand the statue, plus the idea was to have it mounted really really high on a biggest rock in a whole white world (that had to be in Russia, obviously :) ). They couldn't find the rock big enough (had to be in one piece!). In the end they had to settle for a much smaller rock, which was no small by any standards and like with an iceberg, you only see the tip of it, the good 2/3 of the rock is hidden under the ground (or so it had to be, is it or not?, I am not actually sure). Unfortunately, I have never been to St Petersburg (the Russia's cultural capital), but I am sure I will see it one day, along with Hermitage and White Winter Palace. I am interested it one, yes! ;)

Nice! Is it typical for these coins to have a better struck reverse than obverse?

Bronze does not "flow" well into the small details on the die... Definitely worse than copper. Takes very little wear to deface those little coats of arms, because they are very flat. The fields are still nice and not much corrosion is evident on the photos.